Class 2 light seems to have a class 1 bracket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxrichards

Reaction score
Hi All.  First time on this forum.  Was just about to fit a John Lewis ceiling light.  The instructions are scant but it is a class 2 light and therefore has just live and neutral on the fitting.  So I was going to terminate the earth wire from the ceiling.  However the metal bracket that the light fits into has a class 1 symbol on it, so I'm not sure what to do. There's nothing the instructions about earthing the bracket.  Can anyone help please.  Many thanks.

Hi ProDave.  Yes there's a square within a square on the light fitting.  It's only the metal bracket which attaches to the ceiling that has an earth symbol and GND on it

Yes, sort of. 

It's just one bracket which is a long metal bar screwed into the ceiling, onto which you screw the metal light fixture.

It will only be class 2 if you can fit all the wires into the little  connection box . if you can't make it class one and earth the fitting

32ba135da9b4bd85b990d1316fc4316b.png.155b0bcae75bb1f960edb37cb8127a7c.png

Is this the beast? 

Only suitable for 2 core flex.

:(

Just connect the CPC to the earth terminal on the bracket and the L and N into the junction box.  Life is too short to analyse it any further.  You only need to ponder it further if you don't have an earth available.

As there is no terminal screw and the bracket is fully painted I would say it's perhaps a bracket also used with other fittings which are class 1. The marking is redundant here.

If it WAS supposed to be earthing the fitting there would also have to be a fly lead to the lower part.  It's clearly labelled class 2 so quite safe to connect just two wires.

I don't like those fittings where the metal rose is earthed but they rely on a bit of chain from the rose to the metal pendant. Always looks a bit suspect.

I don't like those fittings where the metal rose is earthed but they rely on a bit of chain from the rose to the metal pendant. Always looks a bit suspect.

maybe the lower part is designed as class 2 so no earth required, but they have put an earth on the top to ease installation (i.e you dont have to use them stupid boxes)