Mastbruch

Consumer Unit.

kerching

Sweedie are you all qualified and cert'd up now?

just curious as you've not been about for a while

Sidney
2 hours ago, misssweden said:

Time to start learning from your mistakes...? :P:D It’s not a pleasant experience. 

Try crash helmet at 70 mph, the legal limit obviously, either snot on the inside or a fly in the eye... :)

M107
On 20/03/2018 at 21:52, ProDave said:

If you live in an SSE area, you isolate by turning the isolator built into most of their meters.

On the rare occasion you find them these are fine.....................otherwise its the seal fairy

misssweden
8 hours ago, kerching said:

Sweedie are you all qualified and cert'd up now?

just curious as you've not been about for a while

I am :) been qualified about a year and a half. I would like to get qualified for 33kV stuff as well, that’s the next goal. 

kerching
10 hours ago, misssweden said:

I am :) been qualified about a year and a half. I would like to get qualified for 33kV stuff as well, that’s the next goal. 

Excellent....keep it up

misssweden

Thank you darling :)

Doc Hudson
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:06, Mastbruch said:

Thanks 

Ahh pretty sure I am with you when you say fairy I think!

It is not uncommon to come across a domestic installation where the suppliers fuse and/or meter connection cover have no seals fitted. As some unknown third party has removed them at some unknown time in the past. In which case it can be wise to have a few suitable seals in your toolbox to make a temporary fix so you don't have to leave a site with a known danger, if the DNO are unable to attend within a reasonable timeframe. And as numerous relatively cheap solutions are available I am sure you can budget to make sure you don't leave any installations with the risk of unskilled persons having easy access to potentially lethal live parts. Just to assist you,

Temporary Fix: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/electric-meter-seals 

Full solution: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

Obviously the first port of call is to contact the relevant electrical distribution company, for your area. phone numbers can be found on the above link.

Doc H

Mastbruch
9 hours ago, Doc Hudson said:

It is not uncommon to come across a domestic installation where the suppliers fuse and/or meter connection cover have no seals fitted. As some unknown third party has removed them at some unknown time in the past. In which case it can be wise to have a few suitable seals in your toolbox to make a temporary fix so you don't have to leave a site with a known danger, if the DNO are unable to attend within a reasonable timeframe. And as numerous relatively cheap solutions are available I am sure you can budget to make sure you don't leave any installations with the risk of unskilled persons having easy access to potentially lethal live parts. Just to assist you,

Temporary Fix: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/electric-meter-seals 

Full solution: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

Obviously the first port of call is to contact the relevant electrical distribution company, for your area. phone numbers can be found on the above link.

Doc H

Cheers Doc that's good knowledge I can take in and didn't even think you could buy the seals TBF.

Thanks

Murdoch

Hum ............ seals missing on the DNO fuse ................... isn't a danger imho.

kerching

Seals missing?.......not my problem

their kit

their seals

their problem

all the blurb says the clients resposnibility starts AFTER the meter BUt client is still responsible for their own tails!   Which are behind the seal,in the meter , so not accessible anyway

just saying

ProDave

The trouble with the energy market these days, is the DNO won't always take instruction from the customer or an electrician, and you have to inform your energy supplier about things like missing seals or otherwise dangerous conditions. Some energy suppliers are better than others. I remember one memorable occasion when I tried to report dangerous meter tails to N Power. All I had was a parrot on the other end of the phone and no matter what I said and how dangerous I described the situation, all I got was "put your request in writing"  which I did but I don't know the outcome.

It should not be like that.

M107
On 24/03/2018 at 06:44, misssweden said:

And doing well so I hear....

misssweden
15 minutes ago, M107 said:

And doing well so I hear....

Oh dear god, what have you heard?! :Blushing

Risteard
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:03, Murdoch said:

Hum ............ seals missing on the DNO fuse ................... isn't a danger imho.

I wouldn't agree at all. If that fuse is removed there are considerable exposed live parts then available to touch. I would say that the seals are absolutely essential for safety.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:30, ProDave said:

The trouble with the energy market these days, is the DNO won't always take instruction from the customer or an electrician, and you have to inform your energy supplier about things like missing seals or otherwise dangerous conditions. Some energy suppliers are better than others. I remember one memorable occasion when I tried to report dangerous meter tails to N Power. All I had was a parrot on the other end of the phone and no matter what I said and how dangerous I described the situation, all I got was "put your request in writing"  which I did but I don't know the outcome.

It should not be like that.

LOL. I asked someone to contact the NIE (DNO) to have an isolator fitted. Apparently the NIE told them that it was the Electrician's job. Not sure how they expected it to be safely fitted to energised meter tails.

Murdoch
7 hours ago, Risteard said:

I wouldn't agree at all. If that fuse is removed there are considerable exposed live parts then available to touch. I would say that the seals are absolutely essential for safety.

er no ............ the fuse is in place, and when you pull the fuse you would still have to stick your fingers in ..............

The DNO equipment is outside the scope of an EICR ............. only a comment can be made.

Risteard
17 hours ago, Murdoch said:

er no ............ the fuse is in place, and when you pull the fuse you would still have to stick your fingers in ..............

The DNO equipment is outside the scope of an EICR ............. only a comment can be made.

There is a large area of exposed live parts with the fuse removed. Obviously if you don't come into contact with it it won't hurt - that doesn't alter the fact that it's dangerous.

DNO equipment isn't really outside the scope of an EICR given that you must assess it for the Schedule of Inspections, which specifically includes it.

SLIPSHOD & SLAPDASH

As a side point, when i had a smart meter fitted last year, i said to the 'highly trained operative nailing the equipment to my wall & strangling the tails'   it was a pity i had forgot to buy an isolator as it was the ideal time to fit it. He replied  'i can do that, we have been trained how to fit them but aren't supposed to offer them, only if asked'  I was with British Gas & Seimans fitted  (N London) the meter so i dont know if its the same everywhere.

Ardet R

I was told by the operative that SSE would fit isolators but only if asked to do so.

M107
On 25/03/2018 at 20:49, misssweden said:

Oh dear god, what have you heard?! :Blushing

Only that you have excelled & are "one of the lads"

I did some work for one of the local SSE crew lads (wives are work colleagues) up at Henwick, amazes me how they chop & join large ug cables, but have no idea how to replace a heating element in an oven :slap