Henley block - new 2nd consumer unit installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wols1991

Reaction score
Evening guys,

I was hopping for some advice..... 

I am needing to fit a new Consumer unit (which will host an RCCB and 32amp MCB for an electric car charge point) - preferably in the existing meter cupboard.....

I am thinking of using a Henley block. 

Splitting the meter tails into either two single pole Henley Blocks (one for L & one for N) or just a double pole (one row for L the other row for N) 

Q1. Should I split the existing meter tails?

Q2. Single pole or double pole Henley Block? 

If i don't split the meter tails, how can I go about it? 

Do I take the meter tails from the meter and install into the Henley Blocks then two new meter tails back into the meter, joined into the same Henley Blocks? 

Q3. In regards to the earth, I'm thinking of fitting a 4 way earth block, again, should I split the existing earth into the block and add another earth from the block to the new Consumer unit. Or should I just remove the earth from the fuse and install into a block and then add another earth from the block back into the fuse? 

Please find image below.

Meter cupboard - Currently

Thanks alot guys,

Lee

Ok, The others will give you more advice, but whatever you do. DO NOT remove the tails from the meter. If you pull the main fuse, the DNO do not like it, but nothing ever happens, if you cut the METER seals, trust me, next time the meter is read you will be in big doo doo..

If it were me, i would cut the existing tails and connect them to a pair of single pole henleys and go from there..

For the earth, if you are going to pull the fuse you might as well have a new bit of earth cable to the earth block.

john..

Multiple considerations here.

Car charge points are preferred not to be fed from a PME supply and ambiguous and impractical rules are in place about this.

If you were installing a TT car charge point then you would not need the PME earth.

Obviously if you are working on the outgoing meter tails these should be dead before starting work, so the legal method is to contact the supply company and arrange for a temporary disconnection, where they will remove the DNO fuse for you.

The wiring regulations state there should be a single point of isolation for an installation so ideally an isolator would be required before the split.

Would it be easier to install an RCBO in the existing consumer unit and take this circuit out to the meter box for your charge point, divorcing the earth at an appropriate point?

I would use a double pole henley block as they are neat and allow further splits if required.

I would cut the tails (and earth if required) and then rejoin in the block ensuring there is enough slack to allow work on the internal CU.

If the tails and earth are suitably sized and undamaged there should be no need to replace them.

DIY .........pulling service fuses & splitting tails...................... :goodluck:

I'm all for advising on circuits & run of the mill diy work, not sure we should be advising diyers to pull service fuses though.

DIY .........pulling service fuses & splitting tails...................... :goodluck:

I'm all for advising on circuits & run of the mill diy work, not sure we should be advising diyers to pull service fuses though.

I agree .......... truly astonishing advice ...................................................and could be extremely dangerous

A Diy’er shouldn’t be touching anythIng relating to the meter tails or associated equipment. 

I suggest the best advice is to get a competent person in to do the necessary works. By all means watch and learn at least you will know it’s a) correct and b) safe and there will be no risk to you. 

If on in the other hand you are an electrician then I suggest you get a more experienced spark to do that bit and you follow the watch and learn process.