Jump to content

DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
apprentice87

Advice needed..

Recommended Posts

apprentice87

Hi All,

 

Advice needed!! You all will know a lot more about this sort of thing than me..

 

Ok, the people next door to me.. The bloke had a groundworks business, but he died a few months ago. It was a "private limited company" and it went into voluntary liquidation. They were not in debt and apparently all creditors were expected to be paid.

 

Anyway, they have a mini digger. [amongst other stuff] I asked the son if i could buy it and they said yes. It will be about £7500 and they want paying cash..

 

It occurs to me, that technically at least, the digger does not belong to them, but the liquidator.

 

Could i get in the **** for buying it??

 

john..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerching

Yes I would have thought so,as it is an asset of the company and not theirs to sell

 

 

but what do,I know?....see wife for further details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony S

The son can’t sell anything without the liquidator’s agreement as it isn’t his property.

 

That said the liquidator’s would look on it as a source of income to clear any debts so you should give it a punt.

 

The pecking order as you will probably know, HM government, Banks and finally the poor sods the business owes money to.

 

P.S.

Why do you need/want a mini digger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evans Electric

He wants to dig up Stepp's patio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87

I have loads to do at my house, to old/lazy for digging, so an excavator is what is wanted.. I have an old thick concrete drive, complete with old thick tarmac underneath. It is too high up on the house though, and bridges the damp course. The excavator come with a breaker too, so i will break it all up and do block paving instead. There is an extension type thingy to the house that wants knocking down and rebuilding, so that can be done, and while doing the drive i could install new drains, re-do the front garden and change the water pipe from a lead one to a plastic one and change where it enters the house.

 

I am not made of money, but i am quite good at building, and i could sell the excavator afterwards to get the money back. Be better then hiring one as it would be here all the time, and there would be no hiring things only for it to rain..

 

I would be no good at dealing with hire companies anyway, much easier to buy a digger off the bloke next door.. I will see what can be done this weekend.. I am going to a plant sales place near here to pick there brains a bit tomorrow on what i should be paying, but it seems quite reasonable to be honest.. It is a 2009 Takeguchi TB016 complete with the buckets and a breaker..

 

if i get it i will take some photos and  stick them on here!!

 

Should i buy it cash and take the view that if the son does not forward the money to the liquidator, then that is their concern??

 

I would rather proper money.. What if i did a bank transfer and then they would not give me the digger?? It is round the back of my house anyway, but they still got the keys etc..

 

john..

Edited by apprentice87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony S

I know the problem with paths, etc above the damp course. The idiot that we bought our first house from had used the air bricks as a drain for surface water. I first noticed the problem when my son’s aquarium started to slope to one side.

 

The outdoor paths and the internal wooden ground floor all had to be ripped out. It looked like a bombsite for a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ProDave

+1 to buying a digger. I bought one for the early stages of my house build, did all the site work, foundations, drainage, and then landscaping. Then sold it for exactly what I paid for it having had almost 3 years use out of it.  So damned handy having it there even for a 5 minute job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob.

Plus, they are a real boys toy. 

 

Digging holes for the sake of digging holes. Not guilty your honour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87

Ha ha!!

 

I am off to a plant sales place in a bit, see what they got.. "Never buy the first one you see" and all that..

 

john..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy™
18 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

He wants to dig up Stepp's patio. 

 

would take more than a mini digger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Duck
5 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

 

would take more than a mini digger

 

This might do it....

1-image-Hitachi-EX8000-6.jpg

 

:innocent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Johnston

Suggest go for a 3 ton range rather than the mini 1.5 ton slightly bigger but far more capable a 2.5 ton Volvo for example buy ex hire or ex fleet with low hours with quick hitch fiddling with pins to change buckets is not fun this is the biggest digger you can tow behind a suitable vehicle too it'll cost more but well worth it trust me the tiny diggers are fun but they buck around and tip easily what price safety ? Ask me anything I've had all the toys 

IMG_8346.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87

Not sure what to do.. I have got some jobs to do in a limited space, so perhaps a 3 ton one might be too big??

 

Ok, i went to a plant dealers yesterday.. Not sure what is best.. Do i buy next doors machine, that has slightly doubtful provenance in that they have basically "stolen" it from their own liquidated firm [should i not be paying the liquidator, why has it got to be cash and i would not get a receipt with the company name on it??]

 

I do like the machine, it has an "honest" look about it.. Most of the pins and bushes are knackered and it wants about £1000 spending on it. It is 2009 and has 3100 hours.

 

It has never been serviced properly, but started first time in the freezing cold the other week and there is no smoke or leaks or anything They want £7800 for it including a breaker. Dream on, i would say more like about £6000, spent £1000 on it and it stands me in £7000 and i should think i would get that back when i sold it.

 

OR,

 

Do i buy a more expensive machine from a dealer, BUT when i sell it i think i will lose out, as i will have to pay VAT when i buy it, so that makes them expensive.. BUT, i would have a machine with a solid provenance... I could get one on finance, which would basically be like me "saving up" I pay for the machine monthly, [so i do not have to part with all my dosh in one go] and when i sell it, i get all the dosh back!!

 

What worries me, is that even if i do a TER check on next doors one now, and say it comes up clear. Will not the liquidators catch on and want to know where it is?? How do i then know that they will not report it lost or stolen?? I can prove i bought it, but does that mean i would have to give it back, OR that it now comes up on the register as dodgy??

 

What are Volvo like?? The dealers have one, and i would think anything Volvo would be very good..

 

john..

Edited by apprentice87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ProDave

Mine was an old 3 ton Komatsu.  I didn't have a suitable trailer or large enough tow car so paid about £70 haulage to have it delivered.

digging_deep.thumb.jpg.cffe31623362567cb3d59b8816001b1d.jpg

 

 

Edited by ProDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Johnston

Looks like a reliable workhorse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87
7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Mine was an old 3 ton Komatsu.  I didn't have a suitable trailer or large enough tow car so paid about £70 haulage to have it delivered.

digging_deep.thumb.jpg.cffe31623362567cb3d59b8816001b1d.jpg

 

 

 

Is not the one pin a bit long!!

 

Just found this....

 

The liquidator may force the following people, through an order of court, to submit to them an account of their dealings with the company and to hand over any books or records relating to the information they have as mentioned below:

any officer of the company;

any person known or suspected to have in their possession any property of the company or supposed to be indebted to the company; or

any person whom the court thinks capable of giving information concerning the promotion, formation, business, dealings, affairs or property of the company.

If the court believes that any of the above people appearing before it, is in possession of property of the company or owes a debt to the company it may order delivery or payment of them to the liquidator.

 

Oooer..

 

How do i post photos?? I cannot get them small enough to post..

 

john..

Edited by apprentice87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ProDave

Yes I had a temporary pin. I was digging the deep hole for the sewage treatment plant and noticed the boom had gone all floppy. The pin had sheered. I had almost dug the deep hole and did not want to leave the job unfinished, it would have filled with water and probably the sides would start collapsing in, so I needed to effect a bodge repair to complete the job.

 

in_she_goes.thumb.jpg.e84796a676fc0412f2c24cc057b52dfd.jpg

 

I just post full size pictures and the forum software re sizes them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87

How does that work?? I try to post things and it just says you can only post less than whatever??

 

john..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Johnston
1 hour ago, apprentice87 said:

Not sure what to do.. I have got some jobs to do in a limited space, so perhaps a 3 ton one might be too big??

 

Ok, i went to a plant dealers yesterday.. Not sure what is best.. Do i buy next doors machine, that has slightly doubtful provenance in that they have basically "stolen" it from their own liquidated firm [should i not be paying the liquidator, why has it got to be cash and i would not get a receipt with the company name on it??]

 

I do like the machine, it has an "honest" look about it.. Most of the pins and bushes are knackered and it wants about £1000 spending on it. It is 2009 and has 3100 hours.

 

It has never been serviced properly, but started first time in the freezing cold the other week and there is no smoke or leaks or anything They want £7800 for it including a breaker. Dream on, i would say more like about £6000, spent £1000 on it and it stands me in £7000 and i should think i would get that back when i sold it.

 

OR,

 

Do i buy a more expensive machine from a dealer, BUT when i sell it i think i will lose out, as i will have to pay VAT when i buy it, so that makes them expensive.. BUT, i would have a machine with a solid provenance... I could get one on finance, which would basically be like me "saving up" I pay for the machine monthly, [so i do not have to part with all my dosh in one go] and when i sell it, i get all the dosh back!!

 

What worries me, is that even if i do a TER check on next doors one now, and say it comes up clear. Will not the liquidators catch on and want to know where it is?? How do i then know that they will not report it lost or stolen?? I can prove i bought it, but does that mean i would have to give it back, OR that it now comes up on the register as dodgy??

 

What are Volvo like?? The dealers have one, and i would think anything Volvo would be very good..

 

john..

Many questions John there's no right or wrong answer as at the end of the day the digger will be resale able you touched on the vat hard to avoid the alternative is to search local papers and sites like eBay to source a private sale downside being it might be far away. If you buy the local digger from the liquidated stock as long as you buy in good faith and get a receipt you'll be fine last thought why buy from a dealer ? Buy where the dealer buys ex hire ex fleet auction remember you get what you pay for and if it's too cheap it's for a bad reason lol so the first hole you'll dig is into your savings 

If you're buying thru a business go finance and stealership if its private hunt with cash 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roys

James what your view on old diggers with old technology compared to modern "fly by wire" technology?

Take it the price varies wildly on the various factors, weight, age, condition, manufacturer to name but a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87

Only reason i would buy from a dealer is that hopefully, they would not buy lettuced in the first place.. Thing is, they have the experience and know exactly what goes wrong and what it cost to sort it. The ones i spoke to had a wide range of stuff, but seemed to know what they are on about..

I do like the idea of a volvo one though.. How do you find yours??

 

john..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Johnston
1 hour ago, roys said:

James what your view on old diggers with old technology compared to modern "fly by wire" technology?

Take it the price varies wildly on the various factors, weight, age, condition, manufacturer to name but a few.

I'm old school I'd buy not older than 10 years tho we need to just move with the times 

Low hours best if you can find someone whose bought one as a toy avoid with hammer piping as it'll have massive wear on bushes and hidden cracks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Johnston

Apprentice I don't have a digger I had a Hanix 1.5 ton open cab on rubber tracks a while back it was good I hired a Volvo 2.5 ton with closed cab for a job the slightly larger machine has a higher sitting position more ability and I think the tracks can extend for steep ground it really comes down to budget the hanix with a trailer and buckets well used but reasonable condition cost 4,500 I'd think the Volvo of the same age (this was in 2004) so say under 10 years old would cost around 8,000 that's the problem can you justify it the other thing you'll find is once you get your digger home you'll suddenly have lots of friends you've not seen for years appearing and after a catch-up theyll say by the way I see you're not using your digger .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard-the-ninth

Free picture re sizer Click here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apprentice87

??????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.