Internal installation of EV charger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2129

Reaction score
Hi guys, probably this is an easy question for you, I’m a little while off needing this work doing, but I’m just interested to know. During next year, I’m changing my diesel car to an electric, I’ll charge at work, at least my main fastest charging connection will be there. The problem is, we’re in a town center, and I’m pretty sure the wall charger will be vandalised if it’s visible on an outside wall, so it would nice for it to fitted safely inside the building, and the cable passed through to outside. I was imagining drilling through a brick, and fitting a short length of appropriate diameter plastic pipe or similar, I can simply throw the wire and connect back inside when I’m leaving work for the night, question is, is this allowed ?

Another alternative would be to leave the cable coiled up inside an external lockable wall box until required for use. I think I’m aware that these connectors don’t become live until a ‘handshake’ has been established between the vehicle and the charger. I just wondered if there were rules concerning’loose’ wires being passed through a wall ?

any comments appreciated

Do you have a driveway or are you dragging it across a public footpath?

Pulling it through a wall on a daily basis would certainly reduce the lifespan of the socket which would probably cost a fortune to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a private forecourt and our own parking spaces, there’s no health and safety risk re the cable, I’ll be backed up the the wall and the cable will exit in the ideal spot. The connector won’t be damaged in any way, I guess that providing I’m allowed to pass the connector and cable through a wall, I’m all good. I guess that nobody is really bothered

We have a private forecourt and our own parking spaces, there’s no health and safety risk re the cable, I’ll be backed up the the wall and the cable will exit in the ideal spot. The connector won’t be damaged in any way, I guess that providing I’m allowed to pass the connector and cable through a wall, I’m all good. I guess that nobody is really bothered

Sounds like it wouldn't get vandalised to me.

Besides having a big box on the wall nay be unsightly.

But by all means go ahead but.it will have to be quite a big hole.

Other than a three inch hole through the wall, which will allow rodents in, never mind when the temperatures eventually drop the cold breeze? If it’s a private courtyard then I’d go for fixing the charger externally within an enclosure which has a slot in it to allow the cable to pass through. Design the enclosure so that the door/opener is a sliding panel that slides upwards, therefore the slot would be towards the bottom, once connected the door can be slid down and locked into place? You could always design the enclosure and have a metal shop knock it up for you.