Circuit breaker blowing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelseam

Reaction score
I was replacing the light in the bedroom but on the new light (from ikea) there was no terminal for the earth wire. I read on this forum that we should connect as normal and just get a little terminal block for fhe earth. We did this, but the fuse box trips everytime we try and flip it on. We’ve disconnected the light and it still keep happening. What do we do?

Chelseam   I'm guessing  there were a LOT of wires when you removed the old light  ?  

We need pictures  of the wires  hanging from the ceiling .

You need to use a photo host thingy   :C     or make 10 posts on here. 

Try describing  what wires you have there ...  are they all  twin & earth cables   ?  Is there one  that  has  2 reds  or 2 browns in it ?    That would be good news . 

Last edited by a moderator:
When I disconnected, there were two blue two brown and the earth. 

I’m unsure on how to attach photos on here otherwise I’d show what we have and what we’re trying to connect to 

When I disconnected, there were two blue two brown and the earth. 

I’m unsure on how to attach photos on here otherwise I’d show what we have and what we’re trying to connect to 
and i bet you removed fitting without paying any attention to how it was connected, then put both blues in the same terminal...

That sounds like its the last one on the circuit .     ( (Is there only one light  ..not two  ?)  

Andy is probably right .        I'm guessing you don't have an electrical tester       ( We can't advise you to do anything live  !!)   

You could try  ...SWITCHING THE POWER OFF  ....   connecting the two browns together  and connect one blue  to the (L)   and the other blue to the (N)   .

What sort of fitting is it  , sometimes it doesn't really matter which way round the go ?  

Does it have a sign on it  ..a rectangle within a rectangle ?

Yes  I was hoping it was a BC  ...at least if it works  without shorting ,   they could get someone to check the polarity  . 

Chelseam   make some more posts  & you can post a photo . 

We ended up not using the connector ikea supplied as that seemed to causing the problem. Wired it into the original rose and everything is working fine. Thanks everyone for the help, except for AndyTM. Looks like I won’t be needing a new switch or fitting after all.