EICR Close Out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Pollard

Reaction score
Advise please I have been out of Electrical Contracting for a couple of years and need clarification on a recent EICR on my house.

If an EICR is carried out and it makes recommendations and those are closed out should the Certificate be reissues as Satisfactory? Should this be done by the original Inspector?

TIA

Advise please I have been out of Electrical Contracting for a couple of years and need clarification on a recent EICR on my house.

If an EICR is carried out and it makes recommendations and those are closed out should the Certificate be reissues as Satisfactory? Should this be done by the original Inspector?

TIA
This is a subject that in my experience is open to a lot of debate, and causes quite a few arguments. If an installation was completed to an earlier version of the regs, then it isn't going to comply with the latest version and this is where the fun begins, it's all about the term "good for continued service" in my opinion. Lets say an installation was wired to the 16th and inspected to the 18th, now obviously, it isn't going to comply with the current regs, however if everything was in order and there was no risk to life and limb, then  based on the fact that it did and still does comply with the regs in force at the time it was wired, I'd class it as satisfactory, although I''d be inclined to recommend improvements such as RCD protection for all circuits, as per current regs. However, as I said, this is where it is all down to the experience, and personal decisions of the person signing the certificate. A couple of years ago I had one hell of a row with an electrician, he'd inspected a premise and declared it totally unfit for use, a few months earlier I'd done some small jobs, changing a couple of socket fronts, iirc and had commented on how good the installation was, considering it's age, it hadn't been messed about with and in my opinion was good for continued service, along comes this bloke and virtually condemned it!

Somewhere, and I can't for the life of me remember where, it actually used to state that when carrying out an inspection it should be borne in mind which edition of the regs it was wired to, in other words, if it was wired to the 15th, and was still, as was, then it was fine, make recommendations by all means, but the fact that it wasn't up to current regs shouldn't mean a failure.

This is a subject that in my experience is open to a lot of debate, and causes quite a few arguments. If an installation was completed to an earlier version of the regs, then it isn't going to comply with the latest version and this is where the fun begins, it's all about the term "good for continued service" in my opinion. Lets say an installation was wired to the 16th and inspected to the 18th, now obviously, it isn't going to comply with the current regs, however if everything was in order and there was no risk to life and limb, then  based on the fact that it did and still does comply with the regs in force at the time it was wired, I'd class it as satisfactory, although I''d be inclined to recommend improvements such as RCD protection for all circuits, as per current regs. However, as I said, this is where it is all down to the experience, and personal decisions of the person signing the certificate. A couple of years ago I had one hell of a row with an electrician, he'd inspected a premise and declared it totally unfit for use, a few months earlier I'd done some small jobs, changing a couple of socket fronts, iirc and had commented on how good the installation was, considering it's age, it hadn't been messed about with and in my opinion was good for continued service, along comes this bloke and virtually condemned it!

Somewhere, and I can't for the life of me remember where, it actually used to state that when carrying out an inspection it should be borne in mind which edition of the regs it was wired to, in other words, if it was wired to the 15th, and was still, as was, then it was fine, make recommendations by all means, but the fact that it wasn't up to current regs shouldn't mean a failure.
Phil Hi Thank you for your reply I agree with your comments and in general the installation is still in good condition based on the regulations at the time of installation. The bit  I am struggling with is that the person who gave the Code 2's should be the person that verifies they are closed out satisfactorily and if so then the installation status should be change to "Satisfactory" especially as all the testing was within limits and all Code 2's related to physical issues (earth bonding, cable terminations, lack of earthing etc.) which are all closed out. I am in Qatar working so stuck really unless I can get an EICR with limitations agreed as inspection of code 2 items only!

Another point with EICR,s   is the tester is not there to start correcting stuff ,  unless it was agreed beforehand . 

A major point is  the interpretation  of the codes  ...everyone seems to have a different idea .  

There,s an instruction on the cert saying a report with C1,  and C2  codes  cannot be signed off as "Satisfactory" 

When you say  "closed out "   I presume you mean the work referred to has been corrected ...I'd think if the electrician who has done the remedials  issued a cert to cover that work  and  its attached to the original  , that would be OK.   

As above it's up to whoever did the remedial works to certify that work.

I certainly would not ever reissue an EICR with "Satisfactory" on it. It's a snapshot in time and the certified remedial works will demonstrate that those problems have been rectified. But other things may have changed with the installation.

as above with Andy's reply or issue a covering letter. I would also tend to argue that the EICR stands as per the day of inspection, bit like an MOT, so probably not appropiate to re-issue it under any circumstances.  If I had been given instruction to do the EICR and any remedial works, then I would issue EICR after rectification works had been completed - not a lot of point in doing 2 certs under those circumstances. I would definetly not re-issue EICR if I had not done the remedials.