My first EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas98

Reaction score
Hi guys just had an enquiry for carrying out an EICR on an apartment and I haven’t done one before so I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for carrying them out, or what to look out for when carrying them out. For reference the building is prob 30-40 years old and I doubt it has been tested or desired since the 90’s. Once again any help will be appreciated
-Douglas

How big is the property? How many consumer units? How many circuits?

I suspect you’ll get under cut by the cowboys
I would guess it Will be two boards with if I had to guess with 4-5 circuits per board and it is a 1 bed apartment quite a small set up really and I have the job without pricing guy just wants it done I’m not sure what the going rate is for EICR’s

Guessing isn’ta great place to start from

Just saying

At the very least either a site visit or photos before committing

And setting the customer expectation on price is a good idea too

Guessing isn’ta great place to start from

Just saying

At the very least either a site visit or photos before committing

And setting the customer expectation on price is a good idea too
He called me on my way home will be looking in the coming days before I do anything

Shouldn't be too bad, 30-40 years old would probably mean a 15th edition install, bonds might be 6mm, but cabling wise, it'll all be as per modern stuff except for the colours. 2.5 has had 1.5 earth since 1981 ish.

You'll likely have a lack of RCD to domestic lighting, concealed cables and bathroom circuits, maybe even to sockets. MCBs might be to 3871

Jot cable and breaker types and sizes down, turn ciruits off and identify whats what while doing a bit of a walkaround to externally inspect for damaged accessories, unplug appliances, isolate things like boilers, trip off RCD accesories, and identify places where DIY bodgers and kitchen fitters might have had a go. Isolate, prove dead, link live and neutral in board, do a quick IR to earth after checking for lack of continuity, test on 250v at least initially, only test at 500v is result at 250v is good and you are happy you have removed sensitive kit. Take rings out one at a time and do end to ends, put back in. Go and do covers off visual, focus on any areas you identified as suspect before, aim to do 10% of accessories. Covers back on, check connections in DB, Do a Ze if you can, if not just get a Zdb, power back up, test RCDs/RCBOs, DB cover back on, go and loop your cirucits. If you test at a local isolator (i.e. cooker) remember to do continuity test between iso and appliance, in the case of a cooker, the oven hinges are a good place to test continuity. Quick walkaround to make sure everything is back together and check you'd plugged the freezer back in.

If in cambridge, then you should do alright, just undercut Jordan/Artisan who seems to take four sparks and a camara crew to a doemstic EICR....

Shouldn't be too bad, 30-40 years old would probably mean a 15th edition install, bonds might be 6mm, but cabling wise, it'll all be as per modern stuff except for the colours. 2.5 has had 1.5 earth since 1981 ish.

You'll likely have a lack of RCD to domestic lighting, concealed cables and bathroom circuits, maybe even to sockets. MCBs might be to 3871

Jot cable and breaker types and sizes down, turn ciruits off and identify whats what while doing a bit of a walkaround to externally inspect for damaged accessories, unplug appliances, isolate things like boilers, trip off RCD accesories, and identify places where DIY bodgers and kitchen fitters might have had a go. Isolate, prove dead, link live and neutral in board, do a quick IR to earth after checking for lack of continuity, test on 250v at least initially, only test at 500v is result at 250v is good and you are happy you have removed sensitive kit. Take rings out one at a time and do end to ends, put back in. Go and do covers off visual, focus on any areas you identified as suspect before, aim to do 10% of accessories. Covers back on, check connections in DB, Do a Ze if you can, if not just get a Zdb, power back up, test RCDs/RCBOs, DB cover back on, go and loop your cirucits. If you test at a local isolator (i.e. cooker) remember to do continuity test between iso and appliance, in the case of a cooker, the oven hinges are a good place to test continuity. Quick walkaround to make sure everything is back together and check you'd plugged the freezer back in.

If in cambridge, then you should do alright, just undercut Jordan/Artisan who seems to take four sparks and a camara crew to a doemstic EICR....
Thank you for this info

The resident has unfortunately died and the son requires one to put the flat on the market
hopefully the flat is empty then, which makes testing a whole lot easier. Good chance the bathroom has had mods for disabilities, these can be variable in quality! :)

the other thing with flats is that there's a high chance the flat is fed from a communal electrical cupbaord on the ground floor - you will need access to that cupbaord.

hopefully the flat is empty then, which makes testing a whole lot easier. Good chance the bathroom has had mods for disabilities, these can be variable in quality! :)

the other thing with flats is that there's a high chance the flat is fed from a communal electrical cupbaord on the ground floor - you will need access to that cupbaord.
Each flat has its own individual meter cupboard so i don’t believe I would need access

Each flat has its own individual meter cupboard so i don’t believe I would need access
But does each flat have it's own DNO supply and earthing arrangement if not you may or more likely will need access to confirm / verify the supply details