DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
cjonesguitar

Lighting in garage

Question

cjonesguitar

Hi, I have a garage. I think it is about 2.5m by 5.5m. Any recommendation for lighting? I have thought about one larger fluorescent, which spreads light across the center? Even a double fitting?

Two smaller ones is an option. Also remembering in mind it will get v. cold.

cjonesguitar

Or othe option is just to fix new timber.. would a double 5ft florescent work, in the centre? Across the centre length of the garage? I think there maybe nore than 5ft inbetween the centre joints...

Blue Duck

Just get it done.

Whack up a couple of 5ft fitting and see how it goes? 

What could possibly go wrong? 

cjonesguitar

Yes, I have decided to put two 5ft up. It is dry inside, and fluorescents can start in sub zero (so I read). I have opted for flourescents as they are a tried and tested method. Just took a while figuring it out. There is room as the joists are pretty deep. I need to put up two metal cable runners with brackets at each end (inbetween the joists), nut and bolt the lights to the runners...

Edited by cjonesguitar

Evans Electric

Thing with lighting a garage  is  not to fix one above where the car is  , as it just lights up the roof .    One each side or one each end  , beware of the up 'n over door. 

Doc Hudson

I never knew garage lighting could be so complicated? 20+ posts and nearly a month later jobs still not done?  Amazing.

Doc H.

kerching

Wait until we get on to subject of 

switching

sockets

emergency light for safe egress during times of power outage and the inherent issue caused by garage floor detritus 

it's a minefield out there I tell you, a minefield

cjonesguitar

Still waiting for power network to connect it 🙂 it isn't a part of any house. As mentioned, I want to sell it in three years... so power is a bonus!