Life used to be simple ....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
..........   if it doesn't salute you ...paint it !...if does salute you fit an RCD .  

Not any more .   Are we REALLY expected to start phoning manufacturers to find out what RCD  type to choose & fit ?  

Scan0013.jpg

Scan0014.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen type A, type B everywhere, occasional  S, or am I mixing up A and B and thinking of breakers?

Last edited by a moderator:
And what happens when you need different "types" of RCD's for appliances when they are currently "sharing" the same RCD ? Recommend a new, bigger fuseboard 

The regs (or should I say the manufacturers) are getting out of control

it's just more speculative BS as far as I'm concerned. I hate articles like that, some people have  habit of thinking 'it's the law' and talking lettuced to customers...

Argh, you've all missed it, the future and there's loads of money in it,

imagine this, one point one rcd/mcb, we'll then have different coloured sockets a bit like in hospitals, but we'll have more colours, then manufacturers will supply equipment with coloured plugs on too. If it has a red plug it needs a type A rcd, which is indicated by a red socket, a type B by a blue socket, etc, etc.

Arriving on a call out to a tripping RCD, "it's ok madam, I don't need my test kit, I can see the problem straight away, some idiot has put a green plug into a blue socket" , don't laugh, it's the future, probably.

@binky, it seems like you’re a bit confused! 🙂

RCD’s are AC, A, B, B+, & F.

These relate to the leakage current they will detect, & which currents will cause them to malfunction, & I don’t mean nuisance tripping.

Think Robin D-Lock & how that works.

This is a real problem & it does exist now.

The magnitude of the issues depend on the connected equipment and the load & leakage it presents on the installation.

Any & all RCD’s upstream of a load must be compatible with said load.

RCD’s located in circuits which are in parallel should be unaffected, but all in series will be.

Last edited by a moderator: