Dimmer Switch Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave8098

Reaction score
Hello All,

I need some help in wiring new LED downlighters and a dimmer switch back to the board in my games room. I have 9 Led down lighters linked with twin and earth cable (Earth not used) going straight back to the mini distribution board in the room, the dimmer switch also using twin and earth is also going back to the board directly, 

The Blue neutral wire from the leds will go directly to the Neutral bar in the mini distribution board

In the dimmer switch i have L1 (Brown) which will go directly back to the B6 (live) mcb on the board.

The Neutral blue wire will be connected to the dimming output in the dimmer not L2 and as i understand it will be connected to the Brown live from the LED's (Adding Brown sheath for identification, Should this also go to the Neutral bar in the mini distribution board ??

Many thanks in advance for any help 

Dave

(Adding Brown sheath for identification, Should this also go to the Neutral bar in the mini distribution board ??

Many thanks in advance for any help 

Dave
Absolutely NOT. That would put the dimmer straight across the supply and would cause it's instant demise, smoke, etc

Output from dimmer goes directly to lamps and nowhere else.  Otherwise you sound to have it basically correct. I hope you have checked your lamps are suitable for dimming, and bought the correct sort of dimmer. Not all combinations work properly.

Do take care working in the distribution panel as you are obviously inexperienced!

Many thanks to you both, The board was already wired by a qualified electrician to an old shed, and is being reinstated into a new games room. I misunderstood when a colleague described the wiring circuit for the lights but following your description Geoff and drawing Evans Electric it all makes perfect sense. 

Again thanks very much for taking the time to read and reply to my query. Have a good week.

Dave

Hello All,

I need some help in wiring new LED downlighters and a dimmer switch back to the board in my games room. I have 9 Led down lighters linked with twin and earth cable (Earth not used) going straight back to the mini distribution board in the room, the dimmer switch also using twin and earth is also going back to the board directly, 
Earth should be connected through each light, properly sleeved in green / yellow sleeve, and terminated in  CU. In case at some later point the lights are changed gor class 1 fittings.