Responsibility for Undertaking EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landlady

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I’m after some advice please. I’m a landlady that lets out a coach house. It’s accommodation over 3 garages. One garage is for use by the coach house the other 2 are on a peppercorn lease to the neighbouring houses. One of the neighbours garages has had an automated Garage door fitted and it is powered from their house from a cable. My question is, is it my responsibility to obtain an EICR for my coach house including the checking of  motor in the garage, even though this is something fitted by my neighbour for use by them and powered from their electricity supply? Or should this be covered by the EICR for their house. I’m concerned that the letting agency may be reluctant to renew the tenancy agreement if this is not included and I’m trying to work out if it is my responsibility. However, this is not really different from a block of flats, where there are multiple occupants, where they may be in the same building, but have to be responsible for all the installation from their es electrical  supply. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

IMHO the EICR should cover the fuseboard and all the fixed circuits - so if the power for the garage door is supplied from another property its not your concern.

So to answer the question, if I understand the issue - the house where the garage door is supplied from and the garage are covered by one EICR, The accommodation above the garages would be subject to a 2nd EICR

Hope this helps 

checking of 'the motor in th garage' for the door is not covered by BS7671, only the supply to it. the operator & associated controls are covered by different regs, and for checking of that youd need someone who deals with RSD/ SOHD or whatever is fitted

generally, anything fed from a meter is covered by 1 EICR

I think I'd agree with Murdoch .    The responsibility for the safety of the garage door installation would rest with the  neighbour and their electrician. 

Personal opinion is offered  , a legal expert may think otherwise.  

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO the EICR should cover the fuseboard and all the fixed circuits - so if the power for the garage door is supplied from another property its not your concern.

So to answer the question, if I understand the issue - the house where the garage door is supplied from and the garage are covered by one EICR, The accommodation above the garages would be subject to a 2nd EICR

Hope this helps 

Many thanks, that makes sense to me. Thank for the reply.

checking of 'the motor in th garage' for the door is not covered by BS7671, only the supply to it. the operator & associated controls are covered by different regs, and for checking of that youd need someone who deals with RSD/ SOHD or whatever is fitted

generally, anything fed from a meter is covered by 1 EICR

Thank you, that’s helpful

I think I'd agree with Murdoch .    The responsibility for the safety of the garage door installation would rest with the  neighbour and their electrician. 

Personal opinion is offered  , a legal expert may think otherwise.  

Thank you, will work on that assumption.  Just another question that has sprung to mind. Should the report for my coach house that I’m responsible for mention the motor in the garage and say it will be subject to a separate EICR?

Thank you, will work on that assumption.  Just another question that has sprung to mind. Should the report for my coach house that I’m responsible for mention the motor in the garage and say it will be subject to a separate EICR?
you need to discuss this with the spark you employ ....but I would expect his EICR to specifically exclude “the electrics and accessories in garage X as is is supplied from house name and or number”

you need to discuss this with the spark you employ ....but I would expect his EICR to specifically exclude “the electrics and accessories in garage X as is is supplied from house name and or number”

Thank you, that is really helpful.

The scope of an EICR is agreed between the client and the contractor...

You as a Landlady have a duty of care toward your tenants to ensure that all electrical services you provide for them are safe..

So I would suggest you have an EICR done to cover all electrical services they have access to and can use and will be paying for..

If the tenants concerned do not have access to this "other garage" and they pay nothing toward its up keep, it has no relevance ..

Whatever else may be in a physical building cannot be considered a danger caused by the electrical supply you are providing for your tenants.

:coffee

as the garage supply is in your proerty, I think I would ask owner of that supply to provide a safey cert for it - arse covering should it fail and cause a fire. (highly unlikely, but...)