PIR landlord requirement????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafsparkboy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some info about the "legal reqiurement for landlords to have PIR s done on their properties" .

I have been asked by a large letting agent to put together a letter to be sent to all landlords to try and get them to have a PIR done...any top tips etc etc...

cheers in advance

You may find there is not a legal requirement for landlords.

do a search on the net; residential landlords

visual and pat testing of landlord provided appliances covers it.

PIR should have been done before it is put up for rent

Hi guys, I need some info about the "legal reqiurement for landlords to have PIR s done on their properties" .

I have been asked by a large letting agent to put together a letter to be sent to all landlords to try and get them to have a PIR done...any top tips etc etc...

cheers in advance
There is no such legal requirement, however in a age where Health & Safety has gone mad.

And bearing in mind an age where liable action is common place.

And that in the event of an accident or worse, there will be an investigation, and at best an heavy fine or at worst imprisonment for failing to maintain reasonable safety checks on rented accommodation.

For the sake of a (circa)

i thought every rented property had to have a periodic before new tenants?

i thought every rented property had to have a periodic before new tenants?
(Well the Insurance Companies will insist on one for a start and then there is the Local council as well.)

Virtually all Letting agencies apply this rule, but sometimes a change of occupancy my be as little as 6 months.

It would be unreasonable to expect the LL to pay for another PIR.

Usually a 'interim' visual inspection for any change of electrical fittings is appropriate here, depending on the recommended period of next inspection from the issuing electrician.

Don

every rented property must have a periodic inspection before each tenant by law (or when periodic inspection is due in your own house 10yrs max) did not think it was a legal requirement myself but took this up with an niceic miet senior regional engineer who quoted a reg to me which under BS7671:2008 all rented accomadations must have a periodic inspection carried out before moving a tenant in.

cheers rob

Right, here goes, there is no legal requirement to have a PIR done BUT under the electricity at work regs (you'll have to look it up sparkyboy) landlords have a 'Duty of Care to their tennants to provide a safe elctrical system for their use. Should anyone be hurt then the landlord can be sued etc etc.

To demonstrate a 'safe electrical system' exists it is considered good practice to perform a PIR, and have any remedial works done. Once a system is passed as 'Satisfactory' legal liability is transferred to the electrician (hence professional indemnity insurance, public liability insurance is essential), subject to the usual get out clauses, and any subsequent damage to accessories etc. Overall liability for regular maintenance still lies with landlord and yearly (change of tennant) inspection is an essential part of this.

So the moral of this story is don't do landlords favours - you could end up in court. Be especially careful of landlords who do not wish to pay for improvements such as updating to 17th standards - it's a real minefield, so cover your ar*e very carefully.

every rented property must have a periodic inspection before each tenant by law (or when periodic inspection is due in your own house 10yrs max) did not think it was a legal requirement myself but took this up with an niceic miet senior regional engineer who quoted a reg to me which under BS7671:2008 all rented accomadations must have a periodic inspection carried out before moving a tenant in.cheers rob
Wasn't aware of any regs but may have changed with 17th, If anyone finds it pelase post so we can all look - I'm off for a gander now.

.I have been asked by a large letting agent to put together a letter to be sent to all landlords to try and get them to have a PIR done...any top tips etc etc...

cheers in advance
You still doing work for Northwoods on Mutley Plain? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Quite correct binky, there is no such regulation in place...

(BS7671 deals with installation wiring, not legal requirements thereof..)

; \

legal regs for periodic inspections when renting houses:

Regulations

There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.

For more info visit http://www.visum-kettering.co.uk/content/content_layout.asp?ContentID=39

Beware BS7671 does not just deal with installation wiring, it is also a legal document which outlines requirements of the building regulations, building regulations are legal requirements hence BS7671 is a legally binding document, included in this document are outlines with regards to periodic inspections however you will find the legal requirement for carrying out periodic inspections before renting oout a property on the HSE's website.

Beware BS7671 does not just deal with installation wiring, it is also a legal document which outlines requirements of the building regulations, building regulations are legal requirements hence BS7671 is a legally binding document, included in this document are outlines with regards to periodic inspections however you will find the legal requirement for carrying out periodic inspections before renting oout a property on the HSE's website.
Unfortunately the recommendations in BS7671 for PIRs are just that, and not legally binding, however, in court it would be unwise for a landlord to have ignored these recommendations. It's a bit like not eating a kitkat whilst driving - not illegal, but should you cause an accident, you could be prosecuted for not driving with due care and attention.

Hi guys, I need some info about the "legal reqiurement for landlords to have PIR s done on their properties" .

cheers in advance
How are you getting on with your letter ?

just been asked to compose an information sheet for landlord packs regarding their electrical responsibilities.

they dont seem to be too keen on the PIR side of things but i have got them to at least have a visual and the PAT testing done

the other letting agency i do work for are just not interested :eek: :O:O

legal regs for periodic inspections when renting houses:Regulations

There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.

For more info visit http://www.visum-kettering.co.uk/content/content_layout.asp?ContentID=39
Interesting read, but lacking facts such as what bit of HSE regs apply. The bit about plugs and sockets unfortunatley doesn't seem to include the cables behind them - it talks about electrical equipment not the system, ie sockets, washing machines etc etc