17th and 2391 TO BE SCRAPPED!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, I have the 17th Ed, 2330 level 3, but not the 2391, what is to happen now?Andy
Can anyone follow up on this as to what happens as im in the same situation as andy. Cheers

Thank You Mr S.I'd appreciate that. :)

I have the 2330 Levels 2 & 3, 2382-10, 2392, and was hoping to do the 2391 too, but I don't think it will be this year. :_|

I am sure I have missed a qual out somewhere? Can't think of it though. :(
Im in the same situation as you admin mate. Missing qual ... 2377 PAT?

the 2391 2377 & 2382 are not being discontinued they are going on the new qcf framework and maybe have a different number, but the content will remain unchanged the 2330 is being replaced with the new qcf 2357 level 3 which combines the old 2330 & 2356 nvq, the only problem is you will have to be in the trade to start the 2357 as it incorporates the work based assignments. colleges will have to get around this somehow or colleges wil be empty. Also as the new qcf is level 3 then there can be no place for level 2 so as of june 2011 to register with a domestic installer scheme you need a level 3 qualification they stated a nvq or equivelent. the domestic installer scheme level 2 is to be scrapped and replaced with a level 3 diploma.

The 2391 is definitely going this year. If you want to do it you'll have to register before 01/04/11.

Follow this link (and look at the 'last date for registration box) if you don't believe it.

Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations | Construction and Building | Electrical installation | City & Guilds

C&G are having a big bonfire of qualifications to make way for the 2357 (LIII Tech cert plus AM2 Plus NVQ portfolio all in one) which will be almost entirely assessed in the workplace and starts in earnest in September this year.

Going this year are 2330 Level III (last chance to register Feb 2011), 2356, the old NVQ III portfolio (last chance to register February 2011), 2392 (Feb 2011)......

No one from September will get into college to do an electrical qualification unless they have an employer. The same is happening in plumbing and other trades. This is an unprecedented change. It means lots of adults will not now have a chance to retrain to get a new skill. It will mean lots of electrical departments in colleges closing and merging because there will not be enough work based students.

These changes have come from Summit Skills who have asked the bosses of the major contractors what they wanted. They

obviously just want a small number of people qualified to call themselves electricians so they can charge what they want for work! Fine if you're one of the chosen ones with the new qualification. Not so good if (in about 5 years from now) you are a poor pensioner who needs to get a spur in the hallway to charge mobility scooter.

Happy 2011!

C&G website now shows the last registration dates for 2391, 2391, 2393, 2377 & 2382 as 31/12/11.

Thanks for that Brian.

They changed that quickly didn't they! It just proves C&G can move quickly when they want to.

C&G Website shows all closing dates for applications to be 31/12/11. As has been pointed out, these courses are not being discontinued, they're just being replaced with equivalents

For information, the 2392 is for INITIAL inspection and testing only and does not qualify you to to Periodic inspections. For this you require 2391

god all these numbers and differant courses and ways to become a spark,,,five day super electricians ,lern on line,,,,,personally ide scrap the lot of them, wind the clock back and bring in propper apprenticeships again employed by a company and trained by them. if your not working in the industry u dont get trained to play with electrics have a propper skills register so that only trained people cant work with electrics,,,,

I did 2351, years ago and am just gonna scrape the nvq 3 through I think. I got made redundant last year but one of the training firms are going to let me register then sort it when I'm back in work and have got the

hi keithlard, totally agreed with you , what will happen to all the smaller electrical companies who have always complied with new demands made of us ,it seems effectively the 2381 17 and 2391 are to made useless , the 2391 i think was a extremely good qualification and very hard work to obtain and afterundertaking all of that im in the position of not being to be able to update on the regs etc basically putting myself and a lot of other older good electrcians out of business good luck everyone

Tbh I thInk it'll drive sparks underground. I know of a few sparks who have carried on regardless of part p and I'm sure others will too.

ive just spent 3 years going to college to do 2330 level 2 and 2330 level 3

i was going to do the 2391 after but if thats being scrapped, what do i do now?

Spoke directly to City & Guilds about ten days ago. The woman on the phone said that the 2391 is definately NOT going, it is, according to them, the most important course. There are however major changes to most other electrical courses/exams.

If you have heard otherwise, please dont shoot me, I am merely the messanger

There are 12 lads doing the 2392 course this week. This is to allow them to qualify under the NICEIC to do periodic testing, so how is this course useless? :C i have 2391 myself, but what is 2330?
2392 is just fundamental inspection and testing it doesn't touch periodic that's what the 2391 is for 2392 is for ppl with ******* knowledge of testing, when I did the 2391 there were lads that had done the 2392 as a steping stone to the 2391 which is required for AC assessment

I did the 2392 before 2391, it defiantly helped to polish my knowledge but it was a very easy course,

I have been told (by various sources) that neither will go, it MAY change name but content will remain and old qualifications will still be recognised.

2330 have been extended too i think last registration will be july 2012.

HTH

Latest posts