Electrician Qualifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigwolfenden

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a little confused, and I was really hoping someone in the know could help me.

I have spent the last two years at college studying the City & Guilds 2330 Level 2 course.  When it come to do level 3 it was changed to the 2356.  

So I now have qualifications in 2330 level 2 and 2356 level 3 (come July).

Looking at the internet it says a qualified sparky needs 2360, which seems to of been replaced by the 2330 which is now the 2356.

So, does this mean I am a sparky after getting this qualification?  I have been told I need to go back and do the NVQ Level 3, which is another 3 years at College.  So I would of spent 6 years at college to become a sparky.

I am thinking of doing the next exam up next the City & Guild 2391 and 2390, however I cannot see the point at this moment in time.

I was hoping someone can clarify this as the regs do state a competent person, not qualified.  So am I wasting my time and money, it has cost me £6,000 to get where I am, and possibly another £6,000, thats 6 years and £12,000 down the road for nothing. 

It appears to me as though this should be much simpler, even my own tutor has trouble explaining it all!

£ 6000 .00   Jeeeez !!!  

I know nothing about modern quallies Craig  but there are many on here who do and much like corperation buses , one will be along shortly  bursting with golden droplets of information .

Never heard of the 2390 TBH & the 2391 is no more.

Where have you done the qualifications?

AFAIK there should have been a transfer period.

The nvq isnt another 3 years, its usually taken at the same time as the 2330.  

Was this not offered to you?

BTW, welcome to the forum, stick around, we hope that we can help you on the way for a LOT less than £6k, basically, simple membership & advice is free!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome to forum.

The NVQ Level 3 was not offered to us, this is the first time we had heard that we need the NVQ3.

My biggest problem is I wanted to work at the maintenance department where I work, as an electrician.  However I went for the job interview, and have been told I have failed it due to not having the NVQ level 3.  It sounds as though as I am not in the industry I cannot obtain my NVQ Level 3, which means I have spent all this time and money into a no-goer.

As I do not work in the industry this is going to be hard to obtain.  

It seems like google causes more confusion than it actually solves.

What I understand easy route to nvq was by doing C&G 2330 level 2&3 , then all modules are transferable to nvq and all you will then need is to complete work diary thingy and am2 to get the nvq.

Or something like that

I think you need to check if what you have done can be transferred to the nvq course so you the just need work diary thingy and am2.

Email to tge nvq hq might help

I know of someone still on 2330 level3

I think had to be registered for the course before a certain date. Maby your collage c0cked up and didn't register you guys by the correct time so you couldn't do 2330 level 3

I think reason for doing C&G 2330 route and then transferring to nvq is because the the nvq course is an arse

Now for part-p and jib card nvq level 3 is needed. + some other bits

Pewter, JIB registration isn't required for Part P, and the only scam actually requiring NVQ3 to join is Stroma, the rest of them have their own requirements which are incredibly similar to the previous requirements.

Andy Guinness
I never said it was

I said for JIB   AND   part-p    nvq level 3 is needed

i thought from 6th april new part requires NVQ level 3. From my understanding even if you have NVQ level 3 and want to join part-p now you will still need to do a building regs module (1 day course). If you want to go down the minimum qualifications route a 200 hour domestic installer course is required.

I was a member before the 6th of april so it does not affect me. But i think if i want to get the ticket to sign off other peoples work i would need to do the 1 day building regs module to go with my NVQ and my 2394 & 2395

although i think this is all a bit of a grey area at the moment

you cant join part-P

its not a club,

its a part of the building regulations,

:shakehead
smart ar5e

most of us are aware you do not join 'part-p' but it is a quicker way of say a self certification building notification w4nk1ng system or what ever it is called.

does anyone actually know what the new requirements for self certifying right hand system is?