About to start apprenticeship

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWCFC

Reaction score
Hi guys

Managed to get an apprenticeship with a company, dead happy. Just wondering if you have any tips for an electrical apprentice?

Starting work in less than 2 weeks so anything I should get clued up on before I start? Would like to know as much as I can before I start.

Cheers.

Hi guysManaged to get an apprenticeship with a company, dead happy. Just wondering if you have any tips for an electrical apprentice?

Starting work in less than 2 weeks so anything I should get clued up on before I start? Would like to know as much as I can before I start.

Cheers.
Make sure you have ready a large tin of vaseline/grease for your initiation.ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

No only joking, listen to what you are told and don't get cockey

Be interested and keen, if tradesman is working on a job, try to have ready what you think he might need next, earth sleeve, screwdriver, big hammer. Ask questions, except when your tradesman is stressed.

Don't sit idle, if it is at possible to get on with anything even if it is just sweeping up, sorting tools out etc.

Just try and be helpful and not miserable even when you get what appears to be a rubbish job, we have all had to do them.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are getting on and anything you are not sure about. Someone here will answer it.

Stick in

Steve

get stuck in, never moan, have a giggle, take peoples advice, don't be affraid to offer your opinion and be super keen. With the right attitude you'll go far, and your collegues will respect you. (eventually)

May be sent for a long weight ( wait) or a glass hammer or a bottle of amps or sent to the cake shop for a dripping minge . Its all very silly. Search this Forum , as this has been asked before.

Try to get the qualifications done and sorted ,try to pass as many as possible, go as far as your aptitude will take you . But remember ,you don't need a Bsc or Phd to be a sparky . Get the exams done while you are young and still in school mode and the beer hasn't kicked in . Thats the boring bit , the interesting bit is getting stuck in on the tools .

Start getting some tools together , if you don't understand whats going on , ask , never be afraid to ask .

You may get a bit of pee taking etc. as the youngster , the new kid, the apprentice which is generally good natured, you may not be used to it , I'm assuming you are a youngster starting from school. Don't let it worry you , it wont go on for long when guys see that you are keen to help and willing to learn.

Oh and remember , in this day and age you really lucky to get an apprenticeship , don't waste it, I'm sure you won't.

Will you be registered with the JIB as an apprentice ? . This can often be the only proof that you have served one . If it hasn't been mentioned , you might need to write to them to go with their grading system.

Learn to drive.

And let us know how you are getting on by staying on the Forum.

Deke

1) Put your mobile phone away - no texting on job.

2) Don't go for a crap in a customers house.

3) Don't wear a silly hat.

4) Have the tools ready for the sparky, don't hand two screws at once.

5) No cockiness.

6) You know nothing - realise this and learn, ask, ask ,ask

7) Enjoy

1) Put your mobile phone away - no texting on job.2) Don't go for a crap in a customers house.

3) Don't wear a silly hat.

4) Have the tools ready for the sparky, don't hand two screws at once.

5) No cockiness.

6) You know nothing - realise this and learn, ask, ask ,ask

7) Enjoy
Why can't he wear a silly hat , all sparks are half mad, he has to start somewhere. Unless you mean one those baseball caps with the peak at the back , I 've been trying to buy one of those for years but I just get funny looks when I ask for one. ;)

May be sent for a long weight ( wait) or a glass hammer or a bottle of amps or sent to the cake shop for a dripping minge . Its all very silly. Search this Forum , as this has been asked before.Try to get the qualifications done and sorted ,try to pass as many as possible, go as far as your aptitude will take you . But remember ,you don't need a Bsc or Phd to be a sparky . Get the exams done while you are young and still in school mode and the beer hasn't kicked in . Thats the boring bit , the interesting bit is getting stuck in on the tools .

Start getting some tools together , if you don't understand whats going on , ask , never be afraid to ask .

You may get a bit of pee taking etc. as the youngster , the new kid, the apprentice which is generally good natured, you may not be used to it , I'm assuming you are a youngster starting from school. Don't let it worry you , it wont go on for long when guys see that you are keen to help and willing to learn.

Oh and remember , in this day and age you really lucky to get an apprenticeship , don't waste it, I'm sure you won't.

Will you be registered with the JIB as an apprentice ? . This can often be the only proof that you have served one . If it hasn't been mentioned , you might need to write to them to go with their grading system.

Learn to drive.

And let us know how you are getting on by staying on the Forum.

Deke
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I havent heard JIB mentioned so will have to get that checked out.

Good point about texting ! Remember there is nothing more irritating to older guys than teenagers constantly ****ing about with their cellphones. It may end up under the lump hammer to see if its vandal proof !!!

I meant to ask before, are you going to a large firm or a small firm or with a one man band ? I have my reasons for asking .

Deke

Good point about texting ! Remember there is nothing more irritating to older guys than teenagers constantly ****ing about with their cellphones. It may end up under the lump hammer to see if its vandal proof !!!I meant to ask before, are you going to a large firm or a small firm or with a one man band ? I have my reasons for asking .

Deke
Large firm. Mainly commercial.

OK I'm sure you will be fine there, I did my time at a large firm . There is something I noticed much later which you may want to watch out for.

Years later I went on loan to a large firm who were working at Cadburys, they had been installing miles of 300 X 75 three segment trunking amongst other stuff, some of the young guys were ace at setting and erecting this stuff but had been on it that long it was all they were any good at and had little experience of any other kind of work.

Its important for an apprentice to be involved with all aspects of the dark arts.

Deke

Just had a confirmation letter come through today.

It is actually an initial 3 month trial period (they bloody kept that quiet) then if my work is satisfactory they will put me on the JIB for an apprenticeship.

Is this normal? I understand the need for a trial but 3 months seems pretty long. Still willing to do it though.

Yes it does happen KW, If you turn out to be useless and a pain in the rectal orafice they have the option to get rid of you . I imagine it is to do with them investing a fair amount of money on your training and college work before reaping the benefit when you are skilled and earning them their fortunes.

At 21 you may decide to sod off to their competitors or become self employed.

So , as I'm sure you realise, you need to make those three months count.

As regards college , I and many others did day release ,which was one day a week at college ,four on site . If block release is an option then take it , as with day release you tend to have forgotten half the stuff by next week. Well I did anyway.

The JIB will register you as an apprentii and issue a grade card ( apprentice) . When you attain whatever the quallies are these days they will upgrade you to Electrician Grade. They used to monitor your training too, I presume they still do, you may have to submit a skills report to them as you go along .

You can have a look at their website online , which shows the rates of pay for employed apprentices and sparks . You may be on a lower rate for those 3 months, put up with it , one day you will be a millionaire , Rodders, like the rest of us on here. ;) :coat

Although I am self employed, I still keep my JIB card renewed (I have to pay for it) as it is the only thing I have that says I served an apprenticship ( The company having dissapeared years ago ) but JIB still hold your records.

As said before , stay with the Forum and let us know how you're getting on.

Deke

No probs , I'm sure you'll be fine . Block release is much better , you get the continuity of the course, as I said before , for that period you are a college student, knuckle down and get the courses nailed while you are still young and your brain has'nt been addled by alcohol and loose women , like Specs and Lurchio Guinness they're OK while they're on the medication :)

Deke

Latest posts