Alterations to witing of existing extract fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smd

Reaction score
I would appreciate advice on the following situation, please.

I have an en suite (shower, basin, toilet) in a 1997 built house. There are no windows in the en suite and the main light is controlled by a conventional light switch outside the en suite (in the bedroom) which also controls an extract fan with an overrun timer. There is also a strip light over the basin controlled by a built in pull cord.  Thus we can use the en suite, eg for cleaning teeth, without having the fan come on and run for ages.

We are having a Sunpipe installed in the en suite which has a light inside for use at night so there will only be one fitting in the ceiling; the Sunpipe light will just use the existing wiring (in the loft) from the existing light that will then be removed.  However, we will then need a control just for the fan as with the Sunpipe it won't be necessary to have the light on so much.  As far as I can see there is no current isolation switch for the fan and so it seemed to me sensible to fit one and to then have a new pull switch for the fan only in the en suite.  I think that this work might be notifiable but in any event needs testing and so I spoke to a professional electrician about it. He explained that under current regs (for ventilation) all fans must either come on with a motion sensor or use a humidity detector.  Does this apply to an existing installation where the fan isn't being replaced? My intention is make the wiring better by including a FCU.

Apologies for long post but I thought I should provide enough detail for members to comment.

If it's an existing fan you can switch it as you please so nothing wrong with a separate switch for the fan. Just don't forget to turn it on when you have a shower, or erm "use" the toilet.

Latest posts