Android appz

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:slap Ha, just realised what I done. Offered Canoe his own custom version of app and he doesn't even have an android phone. lol.

Sorry pal. Think I should throw the empty wine bottle away now. Not like me and the wife to drink and we just smashed a bottle of red between us. It's showing a little. :Y

I did notice that you offered him goods for something that he doesn't have. ;)

Put this here as it's it's to do with the app:

Cable Types?

I had a thought t'other day to include a list of cable types. Now by that I mean like the list on the test sheets. A = PVC/PVC, etc.

So, I create a list view ready to take the info and dig out out what books I have to find the list and...?????????

No list in the OSG or Amicus guides or C&G2330 Lv3 revision book. So, is this list only to do with test sheets? and is the list common between schemes or do they each have their own differing list.

If this is the case then I don't really see a need for this in the app.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:29 ----------

Cable Selection calc

Looking at starting the cable selection calculator part of the app. How far should I go with this?

Obviously, get cable type, voltage, length of run and load. Apply correction factors. (Most online calcs seem to stop here)

Than apply diversity?

Check CPC thermal restraints?

Volt Drop?

It's been best part of 2 years since I've done any of this and I'll tell you what, It's embarrassing what I have forgotten. Talk about if you don't use it, you loose it. Guess I'm gonna have to do some revision. Can't program something unless you understand it first. lol

Do all the calculations and you'll have a winnerIts not 'ard !

I'm sure the members will post the necessary here
Easier said than done. Especially when you dont have all the tables lol.

Well, will see what I have in OSG and start building some lookup tables (OR CSV files, not decided which yet) Don't see me getting too far with all this without a BRB. Going to ring a few folk see if I can borrow one.

You have the Big Red Book ?
Nope.... I work as an electrician, what do I need a Big Red Book for. lol.

At the mo all I have is a 17th OSG, a 16th NICEIC Inspection and Testing, and the 2 Amicus guides (Main guide and Testing Guide). Oh, and the C&G 2330 Lv 3 Revision Book. Hopefully will sort one for the weekend. Need to speak to the boss (which is easier said than done these days) to see if I can borrow his.

If you can't get one. Let me know and I will post mine out to you, to borrow.

Actually, I have a better idea. I will PM you now mate....

Ohhhhh my days, Has any of you seen how many parameters there are for grouping Cg:_|

Going to take some mean code to get all them in there and right selection.

Well, I'm actually using a sqlite database (Androids native db system). You can create 2d tables which is all well and good for things like 4C2 - Ratings for cables laid directly in ground (and most other tables). But things like 4C4...... well that table is to the nth dimension. God knows how I will get that into a 2d table. Probably required multiple tables for it.

Couple of technical questions for you though.

1) How do you know when to use the 'tray' or 'ladder' section of 4C1 and when to use 4C4 and 4C5 which appear to be dedicated to tray/ladder. Why have the sections in 4C1 and then another table dedicated, boggles

2) When doing temps Ca, do I allow for table 4b3- Ground Resistivity. I'm thinking, allow for it but make it optional with the default value being 2.5

Really wishing my job had me doing this stuff then I wouldn't have forgotten it all lol.

Well, I'm actually using a sqlite database (Androids native db system). You can create 2d tables which is all well and good for things like 4C2 - Ratings for cables laid directly in ground (and most other tables). But things like 4C4...... well that table is to the nth dimension. God knows how I will get that into a 2d table. Probably required multiple tables for it.Couple of technical questions for you though.

1) How do you know when to use the 'tray' or 'ladder' section of 4C1 and when to use 4C4 and 4C5 which appear to be dedicated to tray/ladder. Why have the sections in 4C1 and then another table dedicated, boggles

2) When doing temps Ca, do I allow for table 4b3- Ground Resistivity. I'm thinking, allow for it but make it optional with the default value being 2.5

Really wishing my job had me doing this stuff then I wouldn't have forgotten it all lol.
Anybody??

For those that don't know, this thing was put on hold no sooner did I start it. BUT, ALAS.... The spark has re-lit. I will be starting work on it very soon. The biggest challenge (and the most anticipated) will be the cable size calc. Getting it perfect!!! I am not going to beat around the bush here, I WILL need some help Or it's simply a no go. So, to start people thinking

1) does anybody know of an online version that is known to give good results.

2) I am stuck at first hurdle, cable types. Can we build a exhaustive list of what we deem should be selectable as the cable type.

I'll start

pvc/pvc :slap

Also here SWA Cable - BS6724 Steel Wire Armoured Cable (SWA) LSZH

Shape Ribbon cable

Construction

Based on construction and cable properties, they can be sorted into the following:

Coaxial cable

Mineral-insulated copper-clad cable

Twinax cable

Flexible cables

Non-metallic sheathed cable (or nonmetallic building wire, NM, NM-B)[1]

Metallic sheathed cable (or armored cable, AC, or BX)[1]

Multicore cable (consist of more than one wire and is covered by cable jacket)

Shielded cable

Single cable (from time to time this name is used for wire)

Twisted pair

Twisting cable

Special Arresting cable

Bowden cable

Heliax cable

Direct-buried cable

Heavy-lift cable

Elevator cable

[edit] Application

A 250V, 16A electrical cable on a reel. Audiovisual cable

Bowden cable for bicycle

Communications cable

Computer cable

Mechanical cable

Sensing cable[2]

Submersible cable

Wire rope (wire cable)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bacon, I probably wasn't descriptive enough with this. It's for a Cable size calculator for cables carrying mains low voltages. Thath would exempt things like coax and data/signaling cables. Thanks for the effort and sorry to have wasted your time somewhat :S

Look at the tables for current carrying capacity in the back of the regs
Each table is for specific cables so get your list from there

70 deg thermoplastic swa

90 deg thermosetting swa

mineral insulated

Etc
Just into negotiations with getting hands on one after me lapsing through previous negotiations.