Armeg Screwdriver Set

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if the cable can not take the stresses of the recommended torque setting? Do you also torque screw accessory terminals?
Do the accessory manufacturers require tightening of accessory terminals to a specified torque?

I've never seen it.

Now a correctly fitted cable in a terminal will only ever be subjected to direct compressive stress, no material can ever fail in compression, it is not possible, ergo the cable must be able to take the compressive stress by the laws of physics.

Do the accessory manufacturers require tightening of accessory terminals to a specified torque?

I've never seen it.

Now a correctly fitted cable in a terminal will only ever be subjected to direct compressive stress, no material can ever fail in compression, it is not possible, ergo the cable must be able to take the compressive stress by the laws of physics.
You are right however 526.1 does not differentiate either. So how can someone say that MCBs/RCBOs require it but accessories do not? They are the same cables pulling the same current.

The manufacturer dictates.

Whilst 526.1 does not explicitly require the use of a torque controlled tightening method.

The other regs I quoted state that you must take account of manufacturers instructions.

Breaker manufacturers require their devices to be tightened with a controlled specific torque.

There is nothing else that can be said/

The manufacturer mandates it, the regs require you to take account of, now a suggestion from a manufacturer you could perhaps ignore.

The breaker manufacturers state that you must tighten to their requirements.

And when you're finished evaluating all these sets, will you be selling some of them off!!!!! I haven't a set as yet
  My plan all along has been to offer them for sale OR ebay them and donate the funds to the forum

I need a set to comply with the installation certification. They have to be calibrated as well.
 I have a calibrated torque calibration gauge/meter from my other 'job'.......and that stuff REALLY needs to be torqued up correctly.

Calibrated by M

attachicon.gif
Torque Screwdriver Full Range.JPG

Hi Kerching,

I know about your other pressing matters, so I won't add to your load.

Let me know if you want to evaluate my Torque Screwdriver Handles and Blades and, when you are ready, I will send you whatever combination you need.

SBS Dave
Hi Dave

That is a good plan.....see my first post above.....

Probably Torque handle, ph 1&2, Pz 1&2, +/-

I Can then put all three against each other and the calibration checker

It may take a couple of weeks for me to get around to it as I am otherwise "spoken for" at present...but it is all good!

Following manufacturers instructions.
Following manufacturers instructions.

The manufacturer dictates.

Whilst 526.1 does not explicitly require the use of a torque controlled tightening method.

The other regs I quoted state that you must take account of manufacturers instructions.

Breaker manufacturers require their devices to be tightened with a controlled specific torque.

There is nothing else that can be said/

The manufacturer mandates it, the regs require you to take account of, now a suggestion from a manufacturer you could perhaps ignore.

The breaker manufacturers state that you must tighten to their requirements.
Agreed. My point was more to Manator and the 526.1 Rev.

Every connection between conductors or between a conductor and other equipment shall provide durable electrical continuity and adequate mechanical strength and protection.

It is not explicit in the manufacturers instructions that an accessory connection be torqued to a specific value, and yes, Steps is right, but, to do this you have to have the detail of the termination materials which for accessories is not provided.

Thus there is no requirement to torque control the tightening.

However 134.1.1 still applies.

I'd say sidewinder is more authouritve than me on this, 

I generally work more with engines,

But, there will be a standard torque for a 4mm brass screw,

But fkd if I can be bothered looking it up.

It also needs to take into account the material it is threaded into as well, 

^^^^ 

Beaten to it,, :|  

Latest posts