Arrg.. Building Control...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarity

Reaction score
Hi

Having completed the wiring up and install of the new bathroom electrics ( http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4978 ), I call in a local electrician so he can see the wires and installation before I board it all up, he is more than happy that I know what I am doing (with a little help from here!) and says call me back when everything is connected up and I will run all the tests, not a problem.

Building control call him and say what cert are you going to issue, he says a Periodic Inspection Report. They say ahh... no we want an installation report, he says that he can't issue an install report as he did not install it, and a PIR is the only cert available for him to issue.

BC web site says the usual 3 options for notifiable work:

- an electrician does the whole lot

OR - we inspect it (and charge you

One of my boys is about to do something very similar, it will be interesting to see how the LABC react to a PIR.

The Godfather

EIC have to be submitted and not PIRs.

issue a eic and you sign the bits for design and construction and the electrician signs for test and inspection

issue a eic and you sign the bits for design and construction and the electrician signs for test and inspection
Great so that's the answer! Pity BC could not tell me that !

Is there a bit in the NICEIC regs that says thats how it is done so I can point the electrician at it?

Great so that's the answer! Pity BC could not tell me that !Is there a bit in the NICEIC regs that says thats how it is done so I can point the electrician at it?
No there is no seperate NICEIC regs.

However the installation certificate is broken into sections for design, construction and testing.

You can fill in the design and construction and the electrician who tests it signs the testing part.

NICEIC Regs? They think they have their own regs - But the work is done to BS7671.

That what the work is done to.

You are supposed to declare the work - BEFORE it starts - with your LABC (Local Area Building Control) and pay their fee.

They are supposed to check the 1st and 2nd fix. And they normally send out an electrical contractor that they use to test & inspect it. (If you can't T & I it yourself).

At least, that is how it works down here.

I reckon the day will come that the LABCs would accept it if you have the C&G 2392 - to do Single-Phase Domestic Installations.

And so they Should - I do believe, if my memory serves me correctly - that someone from here has actually contacted their LABC office to ask just that, and I am almost certain that they said they would be happy to accept certs from someone who holds the 2392 Qualification?!

The EIC can only be issued by the person conducting the installation work.

You are not allowed to issue an EIC for other peoples work.

Where someone is not qualified to issue an EIC, Building Control should be notified before the work is started (in an emergency, as soon as practicable), they will then for a fee depending upon what work is being done, carry out inspections and testing and if satisfied will issue a completion notice.

NICEIC Regs? They think they have their own regs - But the work is done to BS7671.That what the work is done to.

You are supposed to declare the work - BEFORE it starts - with your LABC (Local Area Building Control) and pay their fee.

They are supposed to check the 1st and 2nd fix. And they normally send out an electrical contractor that they use to test & inspect it. (If you can't T & I it yourself).

I reckon the day will come that the LABCs would accept it if you have the C&G 2392 - to do Single-Phase Domestic Installations.

And so they Should - I do believe, if my memory serves me correctly - that someone from here has actually contacted their LABC office to ask just that, and I am almost certain that they said they would be happy to accept certs from someone who holds the 2392 Qualification?!
ive spoken to my labc and provided i can prove competent (no specific quals mentioned) i can just send the a cert for the work along with a cheque.

NICEIC Regs? They think they have their own regs - But the work is done to BS7671.That what the work is done to.

I did notify before and pay the reduced fee for having my own electrician check it. - As per their instructions:

OR - "Submit a Building Notice application for the proposed work and confirm on the application form that you will appoint a suitably qualified electrical contractor who can certify compliance with BS 7671."

... and I did have him come along at first fix!

No there is no seperate NICEIC regs.However the installation certificate is broken into sections for design, construction and testing.

You can fill in the design and construction and the electrician who tests it signs the testing part.
VS:

The EIC can only be issued by the person conducting the installation work.

You are not allowed to issue an EIC for other peoples work.

Now I am more confused!!

If this is your own bathroom it crosses my mind as to why you involved building control. There are even Bathroom fitting companies by me that don't involve them.
As a special location it is notifiable work.

....Though I am now wondering why I bothered myself!! :_|

The EIC can only be issued by the person conducting the installation work.You are not allowed to issue an EIC for other peoples work.
Really? Which regulation tells us that then? Or is it another "NICIEC Regulation"?

As a special location it is notifiable work.....Though I am now wondering why I bothered myself!! :_|
I know it is notifiable but I would guess that across the country, every day, thousands of jobs such as yours will be going ahead, the only ones being notified are the ones done by barmy sods like me who are are registered .

Builders have just finished major refurb on the house opposite me , load of building work then rewired , bathroom refitted, kitchen refitted. All special locations, no electrician was near the place nor was LBC .

The more I hear about "notifiying" the more I think Local council moving house to higher tax band after checking their Building control computer.

Really? Which regulation tells us that then? Or is it another "NICIEC Regulation"?
Most scheme providers don't like you signing off other peoples work that is not just NICEIC. I personally will not anymore. I did one for a chap on a kitchen refit he did the electrics but wanted me to connect cables into consumer unit and cert job. I used the long eic form but only signed the test and inspect bit he was supposed to sign the two other parts but has never done. I will not sign other peoples work off for the few pound you will get its not worth it.

Batty

I suggest you read the Chapter in the Regs. about certification and reporting.

Particularly the one requiring the persons responsible for design, construction and I&T to provide a certificate which takes account of their respective responsibillities of the installation.