Cable Identification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening folks. I was wondering when you have a requirement to identify and label circuits inside a JB or CU for example. What would you typically use as labels. :)

If you look at the first sections on your EIC you will see all the columns that describe that circuit ie

Cable size

Overcurrent protection devise

max allowable Zs

r1+r2

rcd operating times

etc etc

This is what is normally left at the cu to identify all circuits.

I think this is what your asking

I have printed crackback labels for doing this and you can buy them from most scheme providers.

If you look at the first sections on your EIC you will see all the columns that describe that circuit ieCable size

max allowable Zs

r1+r2

rcd operating times

etc etc

I have printed crackback labels for doing this and you can buy them from most scheme providers.
I was thinking more about physically labeling the conductors to make circuit identification easier. Or it that something that's generally not done?

If you look at the first sections on your EIC you will see all the columns that describe that circuit ieCable size

max allowable Zs

r1+r2

rcd operating times

etc etc

I have printed crackback&sack labels for doing this and you can buy them from most scheme providers.
:eek:

I and other on this forum do use cable identifiers but normally this is restricted to commercial and industrial work and for control panels.

In the home there are really not enough cables to warrent id

Evening folks. I was wondering when you have a requirement to identify and label circuits inside a JB or CU for example. What would you typically use as labels. :)
If you are talking about say some 10mm supplementary bonding wires in CU or at a MET by the CU, and you want to identify..

Gas / Water / Other...

These little straps with a write on tab can be useful.

http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/ProductGrp/000400290002

:) ;)

I was thinking more about physically labeling the conductors to make circuit identification easier. Or it that something that's generally not done?
the identification of conductors will be easy enough because they should follow the numbering of the various termination points...

e.g.

MCB '1' - Line (AKA phase/live) will correspond with:-

Neutral bar termination '1' and Earth bar termination '1'.

MCB '2' - Line (AKA phase/live) will correspond with:-

Neutral bar termination '2' and Earth bar termination '2'.

MCB '3' - Line (AKA phase/live) will correspond with:-

Neutral bar termination '3' and Earth bar termination '3'.

MCB '12 - Line (AKA phase/live) will correspond with:-

Neutral bar termination '12' and Earth bar termination '12'.

etc....

AND as the MCB definitions will be written on the label on the CU:-

Sockets down / Shower / cooker / lights up etc..

So the actual conductors will be reasonably straight forward.

Putting straps, labels, tape, notches, writing on sheath etc.. can be helpful before they are terminated in the CU.....

and you may well want to leave them on after terminating?

The pairs of ring circuit ends are useful to identify.

Small coloured straps can be a useful tool for this purpose:| :)

such as

http://www.cableties-online.co.uk/?length=100&width=&selectedfield=length

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
I use cable identifiers which are numbered from 0 to 9.

These can be used in various combinations, they slip over the cables manually or by application tools, and are often colour coded to ease identification.

All food for thought. I'm just used to labels. I work in the IT game and I'm used equipment and data cabling all being labelled.
You most probably have more cables to identify?

either way identification & labelling is important...

but you just modify requirements appropriate to the size of the installation..

and to avoid any major confusion in the event of later works being carried out.

either way, its nice to have "food for thought" rather than an empty table! ;) :)

You almost always get a few options to consider with any enquiry on the forum... thanks to the broad wealth of experience we have in our members! :x :x

Guinness

You almost always get a few options to consider with any enquiry on the forum... thanks to the broad wealth of experience we have in our members! :x :x
Couldn't agree more.

Think I'll celebrate Guinness Guinness Guinness