Could you rewire a domestic without RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mikel there is a simple answer to that, problem with most people is they look at the problem but not the options.

Lets take a scientific view, 2 and 2 = 4, we often take this as a plus, without question, the result being if I was to openly question you 2 and 2 equals what? you would probably answer 4. I know in written form 2 and 2 looks to me like 22.

I think Canoeboy should be excluded from the poll, he is far more on my level, and probably knows where I am going with this.

Oh and I think I should exclude Sidewinder and KME, just to be on the safe side.

Unless you are using lights outside the the room, perhaps shining through glass I cannot envisage a way of not providing RCD protection for circuits of a special location.

Even the use of ELV requires RCD protection if any circuits use fixed wiring.

Notice the other 2 you mention havent posted yet :slap Ill stop posting unless i see you need to be named in the Quotes of the Week again :slap
quote me anytime you want,

I'm always right unless Aggie says I'm wrong

Guys you need to think outside the box, regulations and deviations from those regulations need carefull thought. Now design me a circuit that does not require any RCD protection. Electrical engineers do this on a daily basis.

you could, if you were replacing a previously installed damaged cables!

you also could if you didn't care for the regs.

but in all seriousness, no as a competant electrician you couldn't and wouldn't on your typical house.

circuits wired in metal conduits, no socket outlets all items connected by fused spurs. bathroom lighting above false ceiling.

Guys you need to think outside the box, regulations and deviations from those regulations need carefull thought. Now design me a circuit that does not require any RCD protection. Electrical engineers do this on a daily basis.
as do plumbers / decorators / joiners / and bob from down the pub.

Any circuit can be designed so as not to require RCD protection.

However even circuits that do not require RCD protection for other reasons, will require it if thay are of a special location.

It's the only instance where RCD protection for circuits is required in BS7671. The requirement covers all installations domestic, commercial, temporary etc.

The only exclusion is where a shower is provided for emergency purposes, such as in a laboratory or similar.

So far I have found your answers informative in the fact that you follow a set procedure, that is, if its been done before it must be done likewise thereafter, forget all you assume you know about a domestic installations, and design me a circuit that does not require any RCd.

I do not wish to rain on enyones parade but it is possible to do a full rewire, or new installation, without any RCD, and this includes special locations,this is also why I feel I need to exclude canoeboy, Sidewinder and KME from this poll, on reflection maybe I should exclude special Location, he drinks the regulations diluted in water three times a day. After the seven days are up I will post why this is possible.

I will think this one through today...... but for now have voted no due to the instructed persons & manufacturers instructions for the use of rcd on equipment.

Like most things it can be done given the right conditions, but in given a practicle approach to how we normally install cables and comply with regs few of us would bother with the extra time, cost and effort required to make this work, and most of us would probably rather RCD circuits for the extra level of protection it affords the householder.

Rrrrrighty

Yes the use of swa or flexishield type cable, cables 50mm below surface,use of earthed metal tube and the rest would be one way (struggling with getting round the skilled or instructed persons thing ).

But what about

smart automation as in x10. The use of relays & contactors.

:coat

Circuits of special locations still require RCD protection.

Since one of the problems seems to be the lighting circuit in special locations, it might be fun to design all the lighting circuits to be constructed of fibre optics, with wireless switching. This could negate the need for any fixed wiring to the lights.

Bit pricey, though.

Now, how to power appliances....?

Status
Not open for further replies.