Could you rewire a domestic without RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Circuits of special locations still require RCD protection.
And I would agree.................................... but seen as we are trying to think outside the box with this one (trying to think full stop is a problem at the moment)

How about 701.411.3.3

blah blah blah....for all circuits of the LOCATION......... blah blah blah

Now (remember outside the box so no shouting at me please) how about the wording "locations" & taking that it just refers to the 3 zones 0 1 & 2...

outside the zones(location) is outside the zones so why protect with an rcd if the installation method meet requirements...

If the reg had stated "all circuits of the room"

Doing me head in now:yawn

Rooms that contain showers or baths are special locations.

And what about sockets? Using an RCCD socket is still using an RCD.

I'm not sure how this would be viewed but, Part 2 - definitions states that maintenance is a "Combination of..blah, blah, blah...or restore it to, a state in which it can perform a required function"

Based on this, if you replace all the life-expired wiring and fittings with new, you are returning the installation to its original condition. There would be no requirement to UPGRADE the installation, so no requirement for RCD's.

Fire away, guys.

Then you would sign a certificate stating that your work complied with......

And you would notify and work on special installations or in special locations or kitchens how?

Low voltage lighting such as downlighters means the 240V bit is outside of the room - no RCD, though i would also consider Class II fitings as not needing RCD either ( I am now considering whether that last bit is correct) becuse no one is going to jump out of the shower with a screwdiver and decide to change the light bulb

I assume you are refering to extra low voltage lighting.

This will still require RCD protection, not on the ELV part, but on the 230V feed.

Indeed and isnt that reg badly worded such that it suggests the entire circuit should be protected too and not just the bit in the room?

That is to prevent earth faults from outside the room being imported into the room, thereby bypassing the RCD protection

So at the moment we are needing a whole heap of RCD'ing?

To be honest, this is rather a pointless discussion, as no one is prepared to put forth a scenario where they believe RCD protection can be omitted, whilst still complying with BS7671.

To be honest, this is rather a pointless discussion, as no one is prepared to put forth a scenario where they believe RCD protection can be omitted, whilst still complying with BS7671.
With so many people getting hung up on the need or requirement to upgrade to additional protection via 30mA RCD's, I thought it was a very good excersise for people to look at the alternatives. If you think this is pointless then do not take part in the discussion, thats your right. I doubt anyone would do a rewire ommiting all RCD additional protection, but that is not why I decided to run this poll, all I will say is that it is possible, even in special locations if designed that way. The regulations even allow it.

Again no proof. This thread has gone nowhere. Either put up or shut up.

Again no proof. This thread has gone nowhere. Either put up or shut up.
Its a 7 day multi choice poll. The proof should you require it is in the regulations.

At the end of the 7 day poll I will tell those who are unaware how it can be done, then I will have "put up" so that I can "shut up" .

Hang in there Manator.

I for one am enjoying the problem......every time I think I'm getting somewhere with.............. Doh.

Indeed. I will have to read the regulations again, last time I did that was in 2003. I have just pulled my amec handbook out of storage, will read that before I post next.

Status
Not open for further replies.