Decimalisation.... Do you remember it? 15 Feb 1971?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the 5 bob note ! I remember the fisrt paypackets after had the equivalent pounds shilling and pence so workers could see they were not cheated on pay.

Funny (strange, that is). The moment I saw the title of the post, it immediately took me back. I remember that we were working in the St Swithins House clearing bank, nearly opposite Cannon Street station in London, putting in the new computer room on the third or fourth floor. I was just the junior grunt at the time.

It was being built to very high specification with full temperature control, raised floors, suspended ceilings and what almost amounted to an airlock for the main door. Everything had to be exact because, in those days, the computers were still very temperamental beasts and gave off a massive amount of heat.

When doing final fix in there, we had to wear white linen overalls and fancy over-booties. Caused a lot of mirth amongst us - imagine your Doc Martens with a woolly overcoat (if you remember what they were).

And it was only a couple of months back that the Sun newspaper started the Page 3 girls - no more Daily Mirrors on site now!

Ah, the good old days...

Remember ? At my age I get accused of forgetting !

i think I still have some old coins banks will not take them anymore so I am stuck with them. First item I bought was a packet of lemon puffs ( a type of biscuit).

Sorry guys,, I was born in 1971.... just turned 40:( :(
A young un!!!!

trust you to arrive too late to miss all the fun of them Big Old Pennies!!!

If you had a pocket full of old pennies you felt rich.. :Salute

And you could buy about a zillion Black-Jacks of Bazooka bubble gums!!!

;) :) :popcorn