DIY UPS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2016

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of building a ups to back up a cctv system. I have been using this as a guide http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Simple-Super-Cheap-DIY-UPSCCTV-system-fro/

I've got as far as the relay and I'm now stuck as this guide does not explain it very well (not at a dummies level any how!) This is the relay I have https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beta+electrical+relay+wiring&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjusJW88_zKAhUKtRQKHWjWCggQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=rcTfK0zdCPY3xM%3A I would like to know how to wire this to the mains as well as the inverter, as I'm a little lost of which pins to attach the wiring to. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe 

probably cheaper to buy a UPS, and a lot less hassle

as for wiring that relay, that depends on your design. there are a few ways to wire it. if i tell you one method, it may not work for you and go bang with your design... and you probably only need an 8 pin too

Hi Guys, Thanks your your quick replies. I've toyed with the idea of buying one ready made for a while now and decided against this mainly because they are mostly designed to allow enough time to save your work on a computer before it shuts down (5-10 minutes) and can be very expensive for any longer times than this. Can anyone advise?

if its just a small CCTV box, they dont use much power so would last an hour or 2

but if its a stand alone CCTV box, then it may all be 12v so might be possible to simply connect to a battery and have a charger connected, and forget about an inverter

It's a complete system with 4 camera's plus security lights. I initially went down the ready made ups systems but quick quickly decided against as they won't last. So just power it all from the battery none stop? Wouldn't this greatly drain the battery enough if I have it on a maintaining charge

Its a security system (camera's x4 and x4 security lights) at a office. We want a UPS to power the system encase the mains powers goes down/gets cut.  

even 1x 400w wont last long on a UPS. if you really want them working for more than a short time you will need a backup generator with a UPS to take the load until it starts

A generator is not possible. We could reduce the light wattage or use led's like Sharpend said. I can add more batteries to increase the amount of power, this is something that can be played with once we have the relay sorted. 

Latest posts