Does An Electric Cooker Require An Isolation Switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the response guys and I'm genuinely really grateful. To some of you guys who have answered my previous topics as well, thank you so much.

I've decided that I'm going to fit an isolation switch since in this case as I haven't fit my kitchen yet, it would make sense to have one.

There is a double pole device in the fuseboard specs.  And 2m is pretty local in my eyes.  

As the OP suggests this 2m is outside of the kitchen under the stairs...

It is NOT very local or readily accessible in the even of an emergency..

Nor is it very practicable to isolate all or a large part of an installation by using a double pole main switch or RCD possibly taking out the lights in the the room you are trying to work in.. 

The only switch available is the circuit breaker from the consumer unit located under my stairs, which in my opinion is fairly accessible and is approximately within 2m of the cooker.

I don't think there is any reg saying you have to put a functional switch to turn lights off in a room either..

may as well just knock off the whole circuit at the CU during the day and flick the MCB back on again at night...

But then others just use common sense, good workmanship, logical intuitive switching for functional use and isolation for maintenance..

and when looking at the guidance for selecting devices for isolation and swicthing..

bottom of table 53.4.. 

we see a BS4177 Cooker Control Unit Switch....

If we are not using one on cookers..

then where are they supposed to be used ???????

:C

As the OP suggests this 2m is outside of the kitchen under the stairs...

It is NOT very local or readily accessible in the even of an emergency..

Nor is it very practicable to isolate all or a large part of an installation by using a double pole main switch or RCD possibly taking out the lights in the the room you are trying to work in.. 

I don't think there is any reg saying you have to put a functional switch to turn lights off in a room either..

may as well just knock off the whole circuit at the CU during the day and flick the MCB back on again at night...

But then others just use common sense, good workmanship, logical intuitive switching for functional use and isolation for maintenance..

and when looking at the guidance for selecting devices for isolation and swicthing..

bottom of table 53.4.. 

we see a BS4177 Cooker Control Unit Switch....

If we are not using one on cookers..

then where are they supposed to be used ???????

:C
showers ?  :|

ah, now here is something Ive been thinking about just this evening actually whilst Ive been trying to sort my shed and decide where to put some sockets,

who is going to start making 100mA TD 40A type C DP RCBOs ?

shed problem sorted,  :D

Thanks for all the response guys and I'm genuinely really grateful. To some of you guys who have answered my previous topics as well, thank you so much.

I've decided that I'm going to fit an isolation switch since in this case as I haven't fit my kitchen yet, it would make sense to have one.
Being well aware that these interpretation questions can be discussed for ever, shall we mark this thread as solved now, as the OP says he has his answer?

Doc H..

yep. Seem to remember a requirement for isolator in building regs book that i haven't read for years, and is up office so no chance of digging it out tonoght.

Latest posts