Exam nerves

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh  and you'll need an ivory rat  and  could try wiggling your ass as you are hacksawing .  :innocent

Who was that well blessed lady on that gardening programme ??

Sorry sexist remark ... I apologise!

If I need to use a hacksaw for this one things will definately have gone wrong :slap  

And if I can wiggle my arse while I'm working that means I can consider myself lucky to have a decent sized joint hole!  :p

Just remember that you have got to where you are because you a great at what you do. Feel confident. Keep telling yourself that you are being assessed on stuff you have done many times. 

Good luck. You will be great. 

Thank you. :)

You know you know your job. And you know you can perform the tasks in the trade test out in the field. 

You are worrying about imaginary things that could go wrong in the test that haven't happened and are unlikely to happen.

This might sound really daft. Give it a try. Imagine yourself taking the test and everything going right. Just like it does day in, day out whilst you are out working.

Think how good you will feel when you successfully complete the tasks. It's easy you know.

An important thing to remember whenever going to a test or interview or exam or assessment or any such similar event is........

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.. BUT EVERYTHING TO GAIN...

i.e.  you cannot lose what you do not already have....

so all you can possibly do is gain a pass, or stay exactly as you are (nothing lost)....

So if theres nothing to lose...  what is there to be nervous about?

Just go in and give it your best shot....

You can't do any more than trying your best!

Guinness

Following the instructions both Verbal and Written

one course i used to teach and examine on you were told to,'read ALL the questions first and then go back and start answering'

question 15 said.   "DO NOT ANSWER THE PREVIOUS 14 QUESTIONS"

it was  designed to see if you were listening and would follow instructions

Some good advice there Miss SS  ................you have nothing to lose and everything to gain ............   I didn't think it would be a live joint ..... but this is what you do every day ..its who you are ..........  you're better than any of us lot on here ..........we would'nt have a clue ............   its just another joint , shut the guy out .....plan your strategy ....lay the tools out ....drop the rubber mat in ...its just another day at the office and you can do this as good as anyone .... go for it girl .....  then when you've passed , get your ass on here and let us know .   

A lot of good advice there, cheers lovelies :)  I'm gonna try to pretend he's not there to watch, and hope I'll be ok. 

I reckon I'm wired up wrong, I work on live cables all day every day but I worry about someone coming out to watch and take pictures... :slap

That is what i would do, talk them through it, explaining what you are doing and why, and also, pointing out things you have to be particularly careful about and explaining WHY you have to be careful and what could go wrong..

So, if i were fitting a tyre i would say "right, i will just make sure that the opposite bead is pushed right down into the well" and explain "Reason being, that if you do not make sure it is right down in the well, it will take a lot more force to fit the tyre, which could well seriously damage it"

john..

I think you could actually say to him  .."  Look , do you mind if I ignore you now and just crack on with the joint "

And make sure you tell him you have "exam nerves"  .

I'm sure these guys know that nerves play a part and will put you at your ease.        Bloody well should do anyway.!! 

I think you could actually say to him  .."  Look , do you mind if I ignore you now and just crack on with the joint "

And make sure you tell him you have "exam nerves"  .

I'm sure these guys know that nerves play a part and will put you at your ease.        Bloody well should do anyway.!! 

I will do. I don't think I can talk him through it, it's hard enough to remember to breathe! The guy who's doing the assessments is really nice so he'll probably understand. And if nothing else he might just enjoy the peace and quiet that comes with me shutting up for a change :D

No don't talk him through it .........start off by saying "  OK  how do we go about this , do I just jump in the hole and get started or what ?"

When is it by the way . ?

Haha i'm sure that would go down well :slap

My first assessment is next week. I think there's two on-site assessments to do and the real killer is my trade test in the summer. 5 days in the training school with jointing tests, written exams, linking & backfeeding, supply point testing, fault finding... I'm gonna die!

So, I had my first on-site assessment on Thursday and I passed :)

I felt quite well prepared, and following the advise I made sure I had everything in order, toolkit sorted out etc... (Had a mad panic when I couldn't find my testlamp, looked everyone until my mate got fed up and picked it up from where it's always kept and handed it over. Nerves makes me stupid :)  ).

For the first 15 min I was a nervous wreck

" '- talk me through the job...'

'- ummm... Errr... Breech joint... Errr...     Linkbox... ummm... *point, wave, mumble*.'

But once I got going it wasn't so bad. My assessor is a really nice guy so he asked me a few questions as I was working and just let me get on with it. 

Got one more onsite assessment to do but now I've done one I feel a lot better about it :)