Fan isolator switch replacement (3 pole)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now we know Brown is permanent L, Black  is switched L and Grey (sleeved blue) is N

Where is black at your switch, no mention of black anywhere?

If that's 1x 3Core&E  plus 2x Twin&Earth...

I would be thinking...

3Core & earth is on all of the 'Out' terminals  -> i.e. Out to fan & light

and the two Twin & earth connected to the 'In' terminals..   ->  Supply in and Switch in.

e.g.

L1 out  Brown of 3core

L2 out Black sleeved brown of 3 core

N out  Grey sleeved Blue of three core

L1 in  Both browns from 2x T&E

L2 in  Blue sleeved brown of switch cable T&E

N in  Blue of T&E supply cable

Plus all CPC's (earths) connected in terminal block/wago

Just need to meter them all out to verify assumptions are OK...

Guinness

Thanks Special,

Your last post was helpful too. I get the theory, I just find it difficult to tell what wire is what, how do I tell between a core&earth and a twin and earth? There is no flexibility and the wires won't put out any more so it's so awkward to get a better view. 

The fact that the light/fan/timer work only if on, but as soon as you turn isolator off (no fan) the light stops working does that mean that 1or 2 cables need to be switched? Or not that simple?

Martin.

The three core & earth is the cable with the black wire..

If there isn't much wiggle room I would think the whole of that dry-line mounting back box could be clicked off the wall to get a better view of the cables...

Then clicked back into place once you have identified whats what..

The two yellow bits with the screw threads in them will fold inwards to allow the box to slide out of the hole in the plasterboard.

Use a flat-blade screwdriver and a gentle force to overcome the indentation in the moulding that clicks it into place..

Have you tried wiring it how I suggested in the earlier post?

At the moment I think you have got one of the T&E's on the wrong side of the switch e.g. the OUT terminals.

:popcorn

Why have 2 cables in L2   Out ,  they must be  a Bro  SW from the switch with a Bu  loop Sw to the light  ,   but connected in the bottom (L2 out) of the switch  .....(L2 in)   must be the Black   in the 3 core to the fan .      They're in ass about face   on L2 .      

The two Blues   in  the N terminal must both go to the light  , one was unnecessary  but he only had  2 core  so its  doubled up  in the N . 

Still need to buzz them out  ,  I can't recommend  doing it live ,  you still need a cheapo multi meter . 

All sorted and working fine, thanks for all your help guys. I'd got the switched live out mixed up.

Thanks again!!!

Martin.