Finally decided on NIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone give me some advice on this 'major' job as I am planning on using it for the assessor.

Took 10mm twin from main dist board and down wall in pvc conduit to an adaptable box wih proper connection terminals inside. Terminated L,N&E here. Then, took L&N only in SWA from the adaptable box to a new dist board in workshop. Installed earth spike with 10mm earth as this way I am not exporting the PME from main board.

Now, the board is a 16th board that the customer wanted me to use as he had lying round. All circuits are on the 30mA RCD side though. Nice tidy job which is why I want to show this. Does it all sound correct as per regs? Just getting paranoid about what the assessor can pull me up on.

the armour MUST be earthed at origin. you then make sure armour is electrically isolated at load end (i.e terminated into plastic box)

also, the SWA doesnt need to be on an RCD, although the submain may have to depending how you have installed the T&E part. in fact, you should avoid having the submain on the same RCD as house circuits where possible to avoid a fault on submain taking out part of the house

I terminated the SWA into the adaptable box with a gland and banjo. Same at the 2nd dist board in workhouse. The cpc in the SWA is NOT connected into the earth from the main board though (deliberately)

the armour MUST be connected to the earth terminal (even if its PME). if its not, and someone puts a spade through it, then there is no earth path to open breaker and armour will then be live.

leave the load end the way it is to isolate SWA earth from your TT earth

Cheers Andy. I also ran 4mm cpc from main dist board to adaptable box (in pvc conduit) and this should be adequate as the L&N were 10mm. Everything else has been done as you mentioned.

then everything sounds like it should be. just make sure that you cant touch the gland at the load end though, since it may be different potential from the earth in there.

Cirrus generally at the isolated end I use a nylon gland cut armouring back and tape end of cable that way you will never come into contact with house pme earth. Generally part p providers do not seem interested in exporting earths your accessor may even ask why you have done it the way you have.

Batty

Hi Cirrus, I had my assesment last week. He did not mention anything about LABC.

Basically he was more interested in my ability to test and inspect. I had all the paperwork out when he arrived (all in folders with labels) and he didnt check any of them!. I had the following paperwork. BS7671:2008, On site guide, approved document p (downloaded), Electricity at work regulations (downloaded), business H&S policy, Business risk assesments, Calibration log and calibration certificates along with the copies of the EIC's of the installations been inspected. Hope this helps in some way. J;\