Fitting PIR security light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have confirmed that

I’ll need to properly make sure I have the correct cable out of the 4 tommorow and I can say exactly were there going to on the switch. 

does it sound like a normal situation , 4 cables going into that switch, well 3 then the 4th going to outside light 

Any ideas anyone if there’s anything I need to swap around in the switch for the switch to work the outside light on and of?  :signthankspin:

It is a single gang switch, so I should switch to a double then? Sorry I’m obviously not as clued up as the person that fitted the switch in the first place. 

Can I adjust the wiring in the single gang for it to only work outside light as not to bothered on it working the kitchen light that it does just now.

If not have you any tips on how the two gang should be wired up when installed 

cheers again for the help 

Well you will be interested in the kitchen light switch if you misconnect it and it fails to work..

as for changing the format of the wiring, it's probably best that you have a tester available such as multimeter. 

Sorry just seen your reply. 

Just st now it’s a single gang switch that works my kitchen light. On other side of kitchen I have a 2gang dimmer, one of the dimmer switches work the same kitchen light as the single switch does. 

So im guessing I need to change single gang to double gang for it to work kitchen light that it works atm and also to work the outside light.

Is it a difficult job to rewire into the new 2gang and for it to work? Should I post more pics of behind the light I’f that would help? 

Would it it be a case of wiring like for like in the 2gang the way that it’s wired into the 1gang atm but leaving out the outside light cable to later wire in so that it works from the new double switch? 

:facepalm: :signthankspin:

I have a voltage tester 

Sorry just seen your reply. 

Just st now it’s a single gang switch that works my kitchen light. On other side of kitchen I have a 2gang dimmer, one of the dimmer switches work the same kitchen light as the single switch does. 

So im guessing I need to change single gang to double gang for it to work kitchen light that it works atm and also to work the outside light.

Is it a difficult job to rewire into the new 2gang and for it to work? Should I post more pics of behind the light I’f that would help? 

Would it it be a case of wiring like for like in the 2gang the way that it’s wired into the 1gang atm but leaving out the outside light cable to later wire in so that it works from the new double switch? 

:facepalm: :signthankspin:

I have a voltage tester 

Here is my take on it so far, it got a little confusing at points. One minute the outside light doesn't go the switch, then it does, lol.

So, IF:

• The outside light cable is identified at the switch that is pictured in the previously posted photo
  • You think you know which is the Live for outside light
  • You feel competent to faff about with it
  • You promise not to die
  • You do NOT blame any of us if you balls it up
Then, this would be my approach for you. now bear in mind there are many ways to connect a switch so this is educated guess.

The terminal to the right of previously posted photo (one with Yellow going to it appears to have most conductors connected. I would assume this is the permanent live terminal and that the outside light live conductor is connected here.

• Turn off the power to lights and remove the one you think it for the outside light.
  • Tighten up the terminal with the remaining conductors still in.
  • Insulate the removed core with tape or connector block, just in case.
  • Turn power back on and see if kitchen light still works as usual
  • The outside light should be off right now..
  • Make sure the other lights on the circuit work as expected.
  • if the above all works out ok then get a 2gang switch.
  • Connect 1 side of 2 gang like for like with existing (leaving outside light live out for now) (this gang will operate the kitchen light)
  • Connect a link of cable (same size / type as what is already in the switch) from the Permanent live terminal (should still be the one with yellow in) to the Common of 2nd gang of switch, this will be for the outside light). A little tip: if you are struggling to get all the conductors in this terminal, transfer one over to the 2nd gang common and connect in with link.
  • Now put the live from the outside light into the L1 of the 2nd gang.
That's it, turn on and test.

The above assumes the switch gangs have terminals Common, L1, L2.

If the switch has L1, L2, L3 then they are as follows:

L1 - Common,

L2 - L1,

L3 - L2

Hope that makes sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes thank you very much for taking the time to explain it like that,  that makes perfect sense.

I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on  :signthankspin:

That’s me removed live from outside light going to switch and in terminal block.

Everything still working fine and outside light now of. 

Will get a two gang switch tommorow and try the rest 👍🏻

No I’ve not tried it yet just need to try get a switch tommorow that matches rest of the switches lol I have confidence that it’ll work  :Applaud . 

Cheers again , I’ll let yous know soon as it works 

Got my switches, on back of double gang 2way switch it has a comm then marked 1way 2way. I’m guessing 1way is L1 and 2way is L2? 

Link a Permanent to common for outside light from the kitchen permenant live, Switched live to outside light in l1, 

the kitchen light should be wired the same as existing switch prior to taking off label each core or take a pic. 

Can L1 & L2 be marked 1way & 2way? My new switch says this 

That’s it working. 

I put Live from light into L1 on switch, but switch was on OFF position 

So swapped it into L2 on switch and outside light is now OFF on OFF position and ON on ON position. Was this safe to do what I done? 

:signthankspin:

Meant to say switch was on OFF position when outside light was on so swapped it to L2 and it’s the correct way around now, was that safe to do