Fitting PIR security light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meant to say switch was on OFF position when outside light was on so swapped it to L2 and it’s the correct way around now, was that safe to do

Yeah mate, safe as houses. usually just means the whole thing is upside down. You either turn it around but have to swap everything over (i.e. wires for kitchen switch to other gang) or just do what you did ;)

And yes;

Common - comm

L1 - 1 way

L2 - 2 way

Nice work buddy.

Could I ask another quick question

I was looking to put a small PIR light at my front door.

Can I run a 1.5m cable from outside to inside and tap into  a light switch close by to the outside light, and put my live straight into the live in the switch so that it’s constantly got a live feed? 

Exact same cenario that what was being done with my kitchen light before.

Yes I have a neutral. 

The switch id tap into doesn’t have an RCD at the breaker but neither did my kitchen switch that had a outside light powered from it.

Do you reckon that would be ok to do as the same idea was already done in my kitchen? 

Thanks

I wasn’t planning on having a switch for it, so would that be ok to just pop it into the live? 

The same way that my kitchen switch was supplying my outdoor light cheers again

I wasn’t planning on having a switch for it, so would that be ok to just pop it into the live? 

The same way that my kitchen switch was supplying my outdoor light cheers again

Personally I would always provide a means of isolating a PIR, (standalone or integral in a light fitting), I have seen enough PIR's go faulty where they leave a lamp permanently on, or flashing on and off. Where you need an easy point of isolation to turn if off until you can fix it. Also many PIRs have that inbuilt feature where you turn it off and on quickly to set the lamp as permanent On. or leave off for 30seconds+ to reset back to normal automatic operation. However safety wise there is nothing preventing it from being permanently connected to the supply, its more just a user functionality issue. 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: