Fuse In The Service Head Feeding Next Door

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
How common is this 'a fuse at the cutout feeding the property next door?

had this before, 2 service heads, 2 fuses, one for the property I was in and one for next door. Very strange

How common is this 'a fuse at the cutout feeding the property next door?
Every house on an older estate near me has this arrangement

Pre 1960s

I've had many calls to a power cut but no access next door

Also had hot/burnt tails at the head feeding next door involving the dno coming out and relaying new cable and a new service head

The DNO & the meter fitter were at a property today to move the cutout & meter, as the customer could not reach it to put her key in. They could not go ahead because they needed access to next door as the 80A fuse fed both properties, i thought very strange.

I rewired a terraced house on a council estate a year ago. The houses all had a bin store with the gas & electric in next to the front door. This house and most of the other had been bought and were now privately owned. The owner had built a porch and removed the original front door (didn't use the cupboard as a bin store anymore) but in his cupboard was a Ryfield with 8 fuses suppling the other 7 properties in that terrace along with his.

ive seen it where cotton braided tails go into loose metal conduit which then went under the floorboards to feed next door.

My mates house was like this. 2 cut outs. so I asked him to go outside (it was dark) I pulled the fuse (it was an 80A) and heard him laughing his head off outside as his neighbour was plunged into darkness. His neighbour later asked if he had a power cut..... I told him to say nowt and use it to silence any noisy parties that might be annoying late at night.

I think all these things were to save money on network installs . Don't think we have any DNO guys to ask on here anymore.

I've seen a lot of cut outs with two cables made into the bottom , one looping to next door. Where I live , one cable comes in between the two houses with a joint off to house next door.

shat

kept meaning to get a pic,

rewired a house/bungalow/nissin hut last week that had a 3p TNS feed that got taken back out to the street in 16mm twin lead sheath ! :eek:

distribution point for the whole cul-de-sac [about 12 bungalows maybe] methinks,,,,,,,,,,

I think all these things were to save money on network installs . Don't think we have any DNO guys to ask on here anymore.

I've seen a lot of cut outs with two cables made into the bottom , one looping to next door. Where I live , one cable comes in between the two houses with a joint off to house next door.
I work for contracting side of a DNO, we do quite a bit of work for our owners.

Had a job a while ago from local council where a builder had charged a tennant for decorating etc in the lounge and not completed the works before buggering off home to eastern europe. Semi-detached property with a looped pilc (lead sheathed oil blah cable) coming into the affected property and looping to next door. In a normal situation, this wouldn't be a problem, but the builder decided to move the consumer unit from the front room to under the stairs. This involved removing the live cut out from the wall, throwing it under the floor and dragging it to the other side of the building. He then fitted long tails to the meter, screwed to a brick wall and left the cutout under the floorboards.

We had to completely re-wire the place, and replace the looped service with new, jointed out in the street, and access next door to replace their service. The new consumer unit we fitted went under the stairs, so she got the work done eventually, not that she had permission for any of it!

I also, often, have to find isolation for landlords metering, flats etc. We have some locally with shops below with 3p cutouts that feed the flats above in VIR singles in tube, and are only fused in the shops below, with no isolation before the meter in the flats. It's a mess!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every house on an older estate near me has this arrangement

Pre 1960s

I've had many calls to a power cut but no access next door

Also had hot/burnt tails at the head feeding next door involving the dno coming out and relaying new cable and a new service head
I've found the same. An estate of maisonettes with the supply coming into the ground floor, two fuses and one set of tails going into conduit to upstairs!

I work for contracting side of a DNO, we do quite a bit of work for our owners.

Had a job a while ago from local council where a builder had charged a tennant for decorating etc in the lounge and not completed the works before buggering off home to eastern europe. Semi-detached property with a looped pilc (lead sheathed oil blah cable) coming into the affected property and looping to next door. In a normal situation, this wouldn't be a problem, but the builder decided to move the consumer unit from the front room to under the stairs. This involved removing the live cut out from the wall, throwing it under the floor and dragging it to the other side of the building. He then fitted long tails to the meter, screwed to a brick wall and left the cutout under the floorboards.

We had to completely re-wire the place, and replace the looped service with new, jointed out in the street, and access next door to replace their service. The new consumer unit we fitted went under the stairs, so she got the work done eventually, not that she had permission for any of it!

I also, often, have to find isolation for landlords metering, flats etc. We have some locally with shops below with 3p cutouts that feed the flats above in VIR singles in tube, and are only fused in the shops below, with no isolation before the meter in the flats. It's a mess!
Interesting Kelvfooz , so you are the contracting side of Western Power or whoever . Is your firm there to support the DNO or do they do their own thing too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the south, SSE. We're here, pretty much, to install rising mains in new builds for our owner, we do a fair amount of replacing the ones we fitted 50 yrs ago too. We do plenty of other work, though the company seem to want to do little bits for people that always pay, like local authorities.

Latest posts