Guidance needed to install a generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
I have been asked to wire up a 10kw generator with a automtic switch over control box to run full house electric when power fails then switch off as power comes back on.

The generator is 32m from the house so cable will be underground as per regs, I was looking to use 16mm twin & Earth SWA but not got any wiring plans of the control box as yet.

If anyone has had any experience of this work in the past I would gladly take on their comments/guidance.

My customer also wants to install a bank of batteries in the same location as the generator and use an inverter to power the house on free electric in the future for short periods of time, so was wondering if I should put the cable in for this project now while trench is open, will I need another 16mm t&e swa for this ???

any advise please

Chas

The guy has this idea of using the stream which runs through his property. He is looking to design some sort of unit with 3 props which can be fixed in the stream and generate power to charge the batteries, then use the inverter to run lights/power....??

By the way it's not my plan I am just the hired help..

Last edited by a moderator:
You need the full spec on the c/over panel to start with PowerBall .

I've only done them on Police Stations where someone has to go and start the genny, then go to the mains panel to switch off from the network, and use that handle to switch on the stand-by system.

You need the full spec on the c/over panel to start with PowerBall .I've only done them on Police Stations where someone has to go and start the genny, then go to the mains panel to switch off from the network, and use that handle to switch on the stand-by system.
Thanks Deke

I am just waiting for them to send me the info via e-mail so I was just trying to get ahead with the game and get the cable in the ground ready for the install, the guy wants the cable in and back filled to keep the place tidy for when the gennie arrives in two weeks. All I know is it is a 10Kw gennie with a auto switching box that needs to be fitted next to the CU, but as I say I've never done one before.

Chas

We all have to learn this stuff , often from scratch , you'll know better when you see the panel. Don't be afraid to phone the genny company up for advice.

Check the BRB on generator supplies.

Avoid anything to do with building a dam in the stream and fitting a paddle wheel , the blokes a t w a t !!!

will the gennie need a signal back to auto start?you need some info on the gennie before you know what cable to install.
Yes you are right it will need a signal back to auto start but I thought that would be between the CU and the control box ??

We all have to learn this stuff , often from scratch , you'll know better when you see the panel. Don't be afraid to phone the genny company up for advice.Check the BRB on generator supplies.

Avoid anything to do with building a dam in the stream and fitting a paddle wheel , the blokes a t w a t !!!
Thank mate, I was just asked to put the cable in along with the one for the gennie, I will not be building any dams or contraptions in the stream I can assure you of that

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy has this idea of using the stream which runs through his property. He is looking to design some sort of unit with 3 props which can be fixed in the stream and generate power to charge the batteries, then use the inverter to run lights/power....??By the way it's not my plan I am just the hired help..
you will get next to nothing from that.

To get any decent power from water, you need a decent fall to create enough pressure to run a turbine.

There's a stream through our garden that I often feel might generate some power, but the fall from one end of our land to the other is barely 1 foot, so not enough head to create any useful pressure.

In your OP you say twin and earth SWA. They are two different types of cable and SWA is the way to go. How do you intend to bury Tw&e
The guy has a mini digger in so told him to go down 900mm or as near as he can soft sand in the trench cover with sand and marking tape then back fill but if thats not right let me know and I will change the plan

The guy has a mini digger in so told him to go down 900mm or as near as he can soft sand in the trench cover with sand and marking tape then back fill but if thats not right let me know and I will change the plan
That's right for SWA but not T&E (twin and earth)

Which are you using?