Hardwired plug to normal 3 pin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is a multimeter not suitable for checking whether a circuit is dead? Please explain. Again what a lovely bunch you two are. Condescending remarks seem all you can do. And at no point have I said any one can be an electrician but go for it make quotes up if it makes you feel more like a man. What a terrible forum. A simple question cannot be answered without ridicule. Thankfully I know not all electricians are like you two!

A multimeter is not the preferred test instrument as the wrong range or function could be selected.

The way round that is by proving the meter against a known voltage source, test the item you are working on to prove it dead, then retest your meter against the known voltage source.

The known voltage source a sparky would use is a source about the size of a cigarette packet that is low current and so a safe source with no shock risk. Your problem would be safely checking your meter against said voltage source.

The forum is a helpful forum please don't get down on us we are only trying to watch out for your safety, we do have to be careful with the advice we give out to stop people doing silly things and hopefully guide them to do the job properly, if they are going to do it.

Hope this helps.

Also...  A multimeter needs a good working battery for it to operate correctly....

Plus most need two probes correctly connected across two points to read a potential difference...

If you have faulty wiring with say reversed polarity, or broken continuity, or two conductors both at 230v....

Reading between two 230v conductors would  suggests zero volts...

But both are 230v with respect to earth....

The following article from 2015 actually asks your very question if you scroll the page down to "Why can’t I use a Multimeter or non-contact voltage detector to prove dead?"  

https://martindale-electric.co.uk/safe-isolation-procedures-proper-equipment-save-lives-a-83.htmlasks 

Re your comment... 

A simple question cannot be answered without ridicule. Thankfully I know not all electricians are like you two!

If you actually bother to look back and read the replies your simple question was answered, simply, correctly without any ridicule within the first couple of replies...  :C

Which in reality should have required no further discussion or debate....

Unless of course you are not quite as competent as you suggest...?

You appear to be the one accusing people to giving unhelpful posts...

Which in fact are all correct and offer good safe guidance to raise the awareness that the average DIY method(s) of testing/verifying electrical safety are not fail-safe methods or procedures...

Some people do ask questions on the internet only expecting to hear the answers they think they already know...

And get a bit uptight when anyone suggest that their methods or ideas may not actually be the safest way to approach a problem!

Really the simplest safe option is what Andy said in the beginning...

by hard wired plug do you mean fused spur?

just chop the plug off and wire into it

Dunno why the thread had to run any further TBH?

Guinness

:coat  

why change it yourself then get a spark to check its done correctly?

?????????   :shakehead

Its a mystery?   

Me-thinks, checking its done correctly is no cheaper than just getting electrician to do it in the first place?

:C

Me-thinks, checking its done correctly is no cheaper than just getting electrician to do it in the first place?

:C

exactly. it would be the same charge for me to turn up and swap a socket as it would be to make sure that its been done correctly

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts