help plz 3 phase converter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To start none of us have got an idea but I was on a learning curve how ever small and simple to educated ppl in your field you couldn't nurture it jist cone with how long is my man's money he is just a chancer I never started this any one of you could of said we can't help you or give you step by step instructions but you can come with how my h money I've got shameful bit moving forward I'm willing to look past your immaturity can somkne plz talk ele rics to me and not politics brexit is enough and my wallet would never done close so plz any one with some sound adive

.. And no mate it's a breath of fresh air you sound ok

Moving forward people stay focused

I've got a ramp that is going up but not down and my wallet ent going up only down 🤨😂😂😂😂😂😂

Power:1.5KW
Rated Current:8A
Voltage:AC 220V 50HZ/60HZ
Capacity:4.0KVA(1.5KW/2HP)
Output Voltage Regulation Mode:pWM control

View attachment 9993
This kind of device is not designed for use as a power supply to a complete machine such as the ramp that is being discussed here.

It’s a motor drive and it’s designed to be the sole means of control for the motor.

With a single phase 230V input the output is 230V 3ph, not 400V 3 ph.

This kind of device is not designed for use as a power supply to a complete machine such as the ramp that is being discussed here.

It’s a motor drive and it’s designed to be the sole means of control for the motor.

With a single phase 230V input the output is 230V 3ph, not 400V 3 ph.

As I understand it his motor is linked for delta and according to the plate suitable for 220V. So with the VFD it goes "up" OK. 

I think tbh a proper phase converter might have been a better option or changing the motor to single phase.

Question is now I guess can he work with what he has, keeping the VFD for "up" and triggering the solenoid by other means for down?

This SHOULD be a good thread if nothing else to keep the grey matter ticking over!

@Moz do us a favour pls and try and rotate your pics before posting if you can!

Btw did you get those books I sent?

The contactor starts the motor. I set vdf to desired speed and I can hear coil power up. then use the up button and contactor kicks the motor in. And yes I thought about hooking up a small 12v battery and small switch to trigger solenoid to lower the ramp it's a bit messy but it will work just a shame the freaking down button don't work. I'm away for work till Friday.

I'll check my emails for the books 👍😎

I honestly never knew that. All the machines I work on pretty much have a a contactor between the variable speed drive and motor(s).
I worked for a drive oem & if we found a drive of ours with switching in the output we would record the data & inform the customer that it is wrong & their warranty was already void.

I worked for a drive oem & if we found a drive of ours with switching in the output we would record the data & inform the customer that it is wrong & their warranty was already void.

The drive oem have looked at our designs more than once and never commented.

I am very surprised at that.  IGBT outputs don’t like being open circuit.

There are some work arounds if you are careful about it and the drive has the facilities, many don’t because they have no requirements for that.

This subject is something I should put in the knowledge base. Something I’ve neglected for some time.

I’ve used contactors before VFD’s, basically a bodge up altering machine speeds for whatever reason. One was a total disaster, pushed by “der management” I fitted a VSD to an epicyclic load where gravity and inertia came in to play. I got the “get it sorted” “you give me a budget and I’ll do it”, all I got was what I could rummage from the stores!

Depends on what type of drive it is, some recommend breaking the power input, some recommend the output. Only in emergency switching conditions. Normal use is for the drive to stop an start via IO/comms 

Morning i found this with a diagram of a neutral wire in a 3 phase system.

Screenshot_20190430-224250_Firefox_1556693270540.jpg

Depends on what type of drive it is, some recommend breaking the power input, some recommend the output. Only in emergency switching conditions. Normal use is for the drive to stop an start via IO/comms 
None of our drives would allow switching in the output.

Obviously normal start stop is vie the drive enable, run and speed commands, we would only allow a contactor in the 3ph to the drive, which was only switched when the whole machine was powered down or the drives were specifically powered off, e.g. safety circuit, e-stop, or general stop, most of our customers powered drives in banks, and for example a machine tool would have a single power supply with multiple drives fed from it, drives not in use on that bank would be under power and ready, but with the drive run commands not applied.

that looks like a US of A setup
Correct it is, you will not find high leg systems in Europe/UK in general use.

Morning i found this with a diagram of a neutral wire in a 3 phase system.

View attachment 10002
Don't mix up supply systems and motors.

Star connected motors do not have a Neutral.

Your inverter is a synthetic delta system, it does not behave like a true mains supply.

It is not like either, of these diagrams in your post.

Last edited by a moderator: