HELP Tripping problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you live in a house or bungalow?

If it's a bungalow then you could have some trapped cables under the loft boards that get squashed as you get in the loft and switch the light on

Actually I live in a house. There is a sizeable space between the second floor ceiling and the floor of the loft so I don’t believe squishing is the issue since that has never happened when anyone has entered the loft. Besides I believe the cables may be in joists in the loft floor space. The mcb trips when the switch is closed.

IMHO there are to many, I believe, I suspect, I assume, I guess...  going on for anyone to conclude much at all so far..

You need to get back to basics..

Assume everything is faulty and incorrectly wired until you have proved it otherwise..

Just saying something has worked in the past means very little...

Like me saying I've had my car for over 2 years but never had a puncture, or ran out of fuel, or got a chipped windscreen..

and it was all working ok yesterday so I can understand why it is faulty today?

A bit of time spent testing with some appropriate gear can confirm the condition of all the wiring, if any circuits are crossed, if the RCD is operating within spec..

which should eliminate a lot of guess-work...   etc..

Even photos of the CU, will only reveal limited information..  

and wont tell you much about the state of the physical wiring through the property.

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO there are to many, I believe, I suspect, I assume, I guess...  going on for anyone to conclude much at all so far..

You need to get back to basics..

Assume everything is faulty and incorrectly wired until you have proved it otherwise..

Just saying something has worked in the past means very little...

Like me saying I've had my car for over 2 years but never had a puncture, or ran out of fuel, or got a chipped windscreen..

and it was all working ok yesterday so I can understand why it is faulty today?

A bit of time spent testing with some appropriate gear can confirm the condition of all the wiring, if any circuits are crossed, if the RCD is operating within spec..

which should eliminate a lot of guess-work...   etc..

Even photos of the CU, will only reveal limited information..  

and wont tell you much about the state of the physical wiring through the property.

:coffee

I apologies as mentioned you probably didn't notice, I am not qualified. I am in my second year apprenticeship so I understand you frustration when I lack in knowledge.

I shall take your advice and I shall assume that it is completely faulty. I do not have any test gear at all so this is as far as I can go with understanding the issue.

where about in lancs are you?

Near Fleetwood mate

Your suggesting reused cabling has been used to fit these lamps?
Yep, water tank taken out of loft and cct used for lights, assuming water tank was ever in the loft. 16A is clearly unusual for lights, so either reused cct or a firk up coz they didn't have a 6A MCB. A bit like the place I'm currently working on where the upstairs lights are on a 20A MCB marked Garage FFS! 

Yep, water tank taken out of loft and cct used for lights, assuming water tank was ever in the loft. 16A is clearly unusual for lights, so either reused cct or a firk up coz they didn't have a 6A MCB. A bit like the place I'm currently working on where the upstairs lights are on a 20A MCB marked Garage FFS! 

Now that you've said this a 16A MCB does sound a little odd. Could cause some other issues later on. Even worse for upstairs lighting on a 20A MCB!