Help with a weird light switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm just an idiot though and don't understand, but in reality then it's probably just easier to buy an extension cable that can run from the house to the garage? Do you know of any 20 metre outdoor extension cables? It'll need to be fairly hard Waring because we get alot of rain lol
What about this as a safer option ask a qualified electrician to run an armoured supply from the house to the garage and connect the lights up in a safe weatherproof manner that way then the installation can be tested and certified and you would be happy in the knowledge that your new garage sfeed is safe 

What about this as a safer option ask a qualified electrician to run an armoured supply from the house to the garage and connect the lights up in a safe weatherproof manner that way then the installation can be tested and certified and you would be happy in the knowledge that your new garage sfeed is safe 
That's too much effort, what I was planning on doing is just getting a couple of floodlights and plugging them into an extension lead that plugs into a socket in my house and then trails to the garage, but I'm not sure where I'd find a weatherproof 20 metre extension, even though they must exist 

At last the voice of reason.

Get a qualified electrician on board, NOW! Do you want a death on your hands for the sake of a few pounds saved?

It’s rare for me to comment in DIY but I can’t stand by when a dangerous situation could be averted.

At last the voice of reason.

Get a qualified electrician on board, NOW! Do you want a death on your hands for the sake of a few pounds saved?

It’s rare for me to comment in DIY but I can’t stand by when a dangerous situation could be averted.
Ugh.. I didn't come here for lectures. They sell weatherproof extension cables that are designed to be left outside, just Google it. It isn't dangerous or big brands like Amazon, screwfix and Argos wouldn't be selling them.. 

That one's perfect I'll bookmark it, thanks 

Goes wothout saying that this is only s temporary measure and should be removed from service when not in use. Leaving out is asking for trouble, seeing as you want two floodlights I suspect this will be left out in damp conditions 

Goes wothout saying that this is only s temporary measure and should be removed from service when not in use. Leaving out is asking for trouble, seeing as you want two floodlights I suspect this will be left out in damp conditions 
Wait no, the only part of this extension that will ever get wet is the cable, the actual reel with the sockets on it will be in a dry garage, I just needed one that had a hard wearing cable so it didn't decay

Well I think you’ll find that the manufacturer will not confirm that the cable is sufficient for your needs. 

Besides if the cable does get damaged you’ll have to re-buy the reel, do this a few times and you’ll wished you’d have had it done properly in the first place. ??

What is RCD rated, I'll just ask the manufacturer what they think so I know for sure for that specific item

I thought you may ask. It is a device that protects life by cutting off the electric supply if it senses certain faults such as you getting a shock

If you can post a pic of your fusebox & meter area we can advise you more

I thought you may ask. It is a device that protects life by cutting off the electric supply if it senses certain faults such as you getting a shock

If you can post a pic of your fusebox & meter area we can advise you more
Yeah I'll probably get that one, I still wonder why there's like 3 or 4 switches in my house which have no use at all, it's annoying, they're all along the floor near the wall sockets, whether they're switched up or down they don't do anything 

Yeah I'll probably get that one, I still wonder why there's like 3 or 4 switches in my house which have no use at all, it's annoying, they're all along the floor near the wall sockets, whether they're switched up or down they don't do anything 

Do these switches also have a fuse in them, normally behind a plastic cover ?

image.pngdo the switches look like this

It isn't dangerous or big brands like Amazon, screwfix and Argos wouldn't be selling them.. 

To make an assumption like this is a massive mistake.

Products may be safe in one use, but lethal in another, the seller cannot tell.

Amazon has been proven to be selling dangerous, non-compliant and illegal goods in the past.

The other two you mentioned are no better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do these switches also have a fuse in them, normally behind a plastic cover ?

View attachment 9274do the switches look like this
I'll show you the switches shortly, there's multiple, there's 1 in my room behind my bed with no use, there's one in another bedroom, there's one in the hallway when you walk in the front door and there's one in the lounge as well 

To make an assumption like this is a massive mistake.

Products may be safe in one use, but lethal in another, the seller cannot tell.

Amazon has been proven to be selling dangerous, non-compliant and illegal goods in the past.

The other two you mentioned are no better.
Okay so what you're saying is they're selling a product which says it's for outdoor use but I can't use it outdoors or I'll get electrocuted? That's false advertising I can sue them for it.

Okay so what you're saying is they're selling a product which says it's for outdoor use but I can't use it outdoors or I'll get electrocuted? That's false advertising I can sue them for it.

Yes I am saying exactly that.

You need to understand what external influences are.

Equipment can be labelled suitable for use outdoors, but it may well not be suitable for use outdoors when it is raining for example.

Extension leads are for temporary use only.  It will say that in the instructions.

By all means report them for false advertising, please, they do it all the time.

Their marketing people are noob technical so they regularly get the technical details incorrect, often dangerously so.

The trouble is that they have money and lots of it, unless you have proportionally the same to waste trying to get a court case together, you won’t succeed.

Not really seeing the point....

They are fine for temporary use but not designed to be a permanent installation.

Which is why other members are trying to point you in the direction of a permanent solution.

Screenshot_20180420-091157.png

Not really seeing the point....

They are fine for temporary use but not designed to be a permanent installation.

Which is why other members are trying to point you in the direction of a permanent solution.
Also states it is designed to be mounted to a wall outside and can be left there, I'm not even going to be leaving it outside so there's no way they'd be allowed to state this (with multiple comments saying they've had it outside for months) if it was dangerous, I'll need to wait for the company to reply before I make a decision