How daft can you get?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve spent about five hours setting the damb thing up and got it to within 0.05gm. I sneezed this morning and sent it out of balance.

The brass weigh pans still look like a hens **** in them. The Duraglit is on order as are laboratory test weights.

This is a work in progress. As soon as it looks like it belongs to someone, I’ll post pictures.

The Ellison OCB is still in Leeds.

The scales, I’m trying to get out of a total strip down. If the beam quartz crystal knife edge centre bearings are shot it’s going in the skip. At the moment I think they’re OK. The beam end bearings are OK.

I tried two 1 troy ounce Canadian Maple coins, one in each pan, they didn’t balance. The Maples do have a tolerance so I need the laboratory test weights, I’ve never trusted the chain link adjuster from using them in the chemistry lab.

Eventually I’ll get it to 0.001gm accuracy, 10 times better than my electronic scales.

06.JPG07.JPG

08.JPG

Two sample 2ozT Queens Beasts coins (the Falcon of the Plantagenet’s and the Yale of Beaufort) were within 15mg of each other, well within tolerance.

09.JPG

15mg added to balance

10.JPG

ozT (Troy ounce) is an ancient unit of mass used for precious metals.

1ozT = 1.0971 Avoirdupois ounce. To confuse matters even more 12ozT = 1lbT whereas 16oz = 1lb.

I now have to use grams so a calculator is on hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re the empties from my other hobby, Champagne.

It took me a while to work out that you don't serve Champagne ice cold, it ruins the nose and bouquet. Serve it about 12°c and you’ll enjoy it.

If you want a bottle for a special occasion or any occasion go for G H Mumm Cordon Ruge Brut.

Moët & Chandon Imperial Brut is like paint stripper. They do a Demi Sec which is almost drinkable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I’ve found I have one duff Canadian anniversary maple, the 25th commemorative 1ozT. The dimensions are correct, it looks correct but its 20mg overweight. I’ve arranged for a NDT (Non Destructive Test) to be done on it.

Maple-25.jpg

If it is a fake, it will have a clout from a hammer and chisel. The metal is still worth money but it’s not leaving my hands as a fake.

Latest posts