How do I get a proper email address?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulmer

Reaction score
Looking to get a proper email address, rather than using my normail Hotmail one.

How do I get and use one with a properweb address,

eg [email protected]

Cheers for advice and help guys:Applaud

What does it mean when they state a price then say its for 2 years?

Surley you must be able to keep the domain forever?

What does it mean when they state a price then say its for 2 years?Surley you must be able to keep the domain forever?
you do if you renew it everytime.

If you want to create a website i'd recommend streamline.net

mines 120 every 2years. which gets me 2 domains .com and .co.uk, the hosting, site builder and unlimited email accounts. The site builder is very easy to use but it isn't basic its quite good and has lots of features.

You can build your own and pay about 35quid a year for it to be hosted, depends how good you are with computers.

What does it mean when they state a price then say its for 2 years?Surley you must be able to keep the domain forever?
Unfortunatley not! you have to renew registration at the given interval but your normally sent a reminder buy the registration people prior to the due date.

Personally, for the cost I think the company e-mail address gives a far more proffessional appearance than the hotmail style address!

On a slight aside, I see the registration peolpe have recently agreed to the .xxx address for adult sites but that may suit some contractors out there (all present company exempt!!) :)

regards

Mark

I suppose if you have to renew lets say every 2 years, then its up to the poeple who own the domain as to what they charge.

Agree that a proper email is more professional than a hotmail etc.

Thanks guys

I suppose if you have to renew lets say every 2 years, then its up to the poeple who own the domain as to what they charge.Agree that a proper email is more professional than a hotmail etc.

Thanks guys
To register your domain name first time is usually cheap unless you pick a recognisable domain name e.g. electrician.co.uk would be pricey (if even available) but xjmelectrical.co.uk would not

after 2-3 years Nominet (UK equivalent to ICANN) will send you a reminder to renew, your hosting company will also send you a renewal, it may or not be a reasonable cost, you can transfer to another hosting site but will pay a transfer fee. Watch out for the letters from various US companies offering to renew they are bogus and for silly fees

Once Nominet confirm and so long as you have paid the current domain registration fee you own the domain

Godaddy.com is a good one. Get your Domain Name from there.

It is cheaper - My host offers a free transfer over to them to host, and then every two Years, I renew it with them. (It is dearer then though - about

I use 123-reg as I have found them more reliable and better to deal with

I have bought my company domai name, and almost all the other endings (if you don't buy then others will)

You don't want your competitor buying your domain mame

having you domain also means you can set up different addresses and forward email to more than 1 place, it also leaves you free to switch isp's without fear of losing your email address

Oneandone are the cheapest for domain names and they only charge the same for renewal as for new domains. They are a proper domain registrar were alot of others are middle men. Also with oneandone the domain is in your name some others put it in their name and then lease you the domain. You still have to pay each year (or 2) but you have full control over your domain. You can either get hosting with oneandone or with someone else and then edit your domain namesrvers to point to new hosting without having to transfer it to a more expensive service.

Do tell us more Ian. :)
I am a member of nominet (the organisation that has delegation of .co.uk, org.uk, net.uk & .me.uk). I then use my name servers to host the domains on and my web and mail servers too.

Cheers for all the input guys.

Going to sort it then find someone to do me a decent website. Did think about trying it myself, but don't think i'd ever get it finished.

To register your domain name first time is usually cheap unless you pick a recognisable domain name e.g. electrician.co.uk would be pricey (if even available) but xjmelectrical.co.uk would notafter 2-3 years Nominet (UK equivalent to ICANN) will send you a reminder to renew, your hosting company will also send you a renewal, it may or not be a reasonable cost, you can transfer to another hosting site but will pay a transfer fee. Watch out for the letters from various US companies offering to renew they are bogus and for silly fees

Once Nominet confirm and so long as you have paid the current domain registration fee you own the domain
electrician.co.uk & xjmelectrical.co.uk would be the same price.

It's the .co.uk you are paying for.

A .com would cost more than a .co.uk but the bit before makes no difference.

Just another add on to my post last year.

I have found that 123-reg have went downhill.

I buy and sell domains on the side (I have over 150 domains) and find they generate extra business (referrals to my site)

I now use Heart Internet (for my UK domain names) and GoDaddy for most of the rest.

Both are far cheaper than 123-reg, sometimes < 30% of 123-reg

I have saved a fortune and got better service

With GoDaddy you cantalk to someone (in the US as they are US based), 24/7. Less cost and NO calls to India :D

Latest posts