I am a Thief - Electrician Robs Children of Food

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwy

Reaction score
I was asked to go to a house to quote for work required.

When I got there it was an old couple I would say in middle 80's or more and they wanted me to give them a price for putting up their outside Christmas lights.

Being a stupid person I offered to do the job for them for free saying this is not the sort of work I do but as a favour I would put them up for them.

Today I was at the top of the ladder with van parked on road when I heard a voice saying.......

"are you the sparks who owns this van mate"

Looking down I see a young guy perhaps mid 20' or early 30's.

Yes says I can I do anything for you ?

"How much do you charge for putting lights up like that" asks the man.

Sorry mate says me, I don't do this sort of work this is a favour for the couple who live here no payment involved.

I then got a verbal battering telling me that he is a sparks and he had quoted for putting those lights up. He continued to tell me that I was nothing less than a thief robbing food from his children's mouths and it is sparks like me who spoil it for the trade.

The verbal hurt a little as I could not believe that anyone could complain about a person helping the elderly, seems I was wrong.

I thought I should make this post just in case there are any other sparks out there who I have robbed like this....sorry guys ....didn't mean to do that. bad day explode

Helping our old folk these days is i'm afraid, a dirty word ...and all too few, would even think about doing a favour for those that just can't manage to do things as they once could.

All power to you Bwy.... you were brought up Right!!!!

someone was obviously desparate to rob OAPs, though doing anything for free that actually involves work does grate a bit with me. Having said that, had

i dont think a judge in the land would convict you of assault in this case.

Well that makes me another one who is guilty of robbing other sparks........

I do a few freebies ( they tend to be small jobs anyway & can be done on the way home) for local elderly folk.

Does anybody want to have a go at me?

Last week, my very old friend ex army engineer who is late 80's had an accident with his flourescent light which ended up hanging vertical for 3 days because he couldnt get in touch with me.

It didnt take me long to change the fitting, however I was there for 3 hours cos i had got nothing else on that day and he talked my head off for an hour before i started the job and then an hour and half after I had changed the light fitting LOL!

I didnt charge him a penny, even gave him the new pendant, made me feel good helping him out even though he supervised every part of the operation haha!

Oh I also cut his grass for free in the summer, perhaps the gardeners might want to tell me off as well!

Robin,

You have the right name anyway!!!

;)

Good on you!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Bwy,

Good on you, just don't do it every day. ;)

If we all did more small good turns for the truly vulnerable in our society this Country would be a better place.

I was asked to go to a house to quote for work required.When I got there it was an old couple I would say in middle 80's or more and they wanted me to give them a price for putting up their outside Christmas lights.

Being a stupid person I offered to do the job for them for free saying this is not the sort of work I do but as a favour I would put them up for them.

Today I was at the top of the ladder with van parked on road when I heard a voice saying.......

Sorry mate says me, I don't do this sort of work this is a favour for the couple who live here no payment involved.

I then got a verbal battering telling me that he is a sparks and he had quoted for putting those lights up. He continued to tell me that I was nothing less than a thief robbing food from his children's mouths and it is sparks like me who spoil it for the trade.

The verbal hurt a little as I could not believe that anyone could complain about a person helping the elderly, seems I was wrong.

I thought I should make this post just in case there are any other sparks out there who I have robbed like this....sorry guys ....didn't mean to do that. bad day explode
well obvoiusly if the old couple have asked you to quote for the job, then the verbally abusive sparks wasnt going to get the job anyway was he?

ive also been known to wave the occasional fee for an old lady etc, the smile you get is usually payment enough.

I was asked to go to a house to quote for work required.When I got there it was an old couple I would say in middle 80's or more and they wanted me to give them a price for putting up their outside Christmas lights.

I would have told him get in the real world..........

Since when was hanging some lights in a tree "THE TRADE"...

its a ruddy plug in appliance, you aint doing any "Trade" electrical work..

just offering a helping hand....

and even if that was trade..

its a competitive free market...

you only get a job when the customer offers it to you....

if it was never offered to him he's lost nothing...

you cant lose what you never had!

:| :C

I would have asked him ' What it had to do with him' cheeky sod!! bad day explode . I know times are tight but he had no right to talk to you like that. At least you can sleep at night..His kids will not starve either. He could always send em to the workhouse.. ;)

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

well obvoiusly if the old couple have asked you to quote for the job, then the verbally abusive sparks wasnt going to get the job anyway was he?ive also been known to wave the occasional fee for an old lady etc, the smile you get is usually payment enough.
It could be a simple fix that takes mins and when that means that an elderly couple are not plunged in darkness with no heat then I have done my good deed for the day..and you can see the relief on their faces which is reward enough.. Job done..

Not to mention the goodwill - they will let others know you are straight, honest and an all round good egg.

Power to your elbow son!! :Salute

Sorry the bring this up again but I thought I should tell you the latest news.....

This morning (Sunday) I found a Christmas card had been put through my letterbox during the night.

On opening it there was a

Latest posts