I Have Been Advised My Re-Wire Job Is Dangerous

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plumber was at house today.  Boiler has been wired wrong twice.... boss electrician says he's coming Monday..... 

Geez George,,, it really sounds like you need to sack them off the site immediately and get someone who's competent in to sort it out.

Quick question,,,, is it the builders "electrician" or did you get them in?

It's still going on ..... and on...... and on...... NICEIC are insisting that the same guy comes back so that he is ultimately responsible for signing off the work.  The engineer from NICEIC came to our house and went through everything with the electrician.  He took our hand written notes of all the jobs outstanding and he made notes that we wouldn't understand for the electrician - who had the cheek to ask him if he was noting it all down for him and called it "a general snagging list really".  I could have punched him and wrote a ranting e-mail to the complaints team at NICEIC saying he adds insult to injury with his crap attitude and total lack of any apology for inconvenience etc and to top it all (housewives choice..) he walked outside in his socks to the garage which is filthy and back in on me totally brand new carpets.! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. I hate him.

but get this... we got an electronic copy e-mailed to us of our hand written notes but we are NOT allowed to see what notes NICEIC made for the electrician.  So, this electrician comes back, late, doesn't finish in a day and then says he's definitely coming back Tuesday - over a week later - doesn't turn up Tuesday and is coming tomorrow instead. So guess what day it is tomorrow..... my birthday..... and I'll cry if I want to......     :coat

I'd include correspondence to PE readers letters section about the whole saga. The reply from nicey would make interesting reading 

Concur.

If their inspector was as bad as you suggest; invoice them. Further, record all visits; appointments ( or lack of), and progress ( or lack of) with respect to your "snagging list".............

"Wiring a boiler up wrong"...........I`m reasonably sure it would need to be a muppet to do it wrong once - but to wire it up wrong TWICE would, in my opinion, take some doing!!!!!

And the NICEIC have the gall to want to "run" this industry :slap  

Ruin the industry is more like it

George, once its all been 'completed' we will go through it all again and see what he has left still not right.

Im dumbfounded to know that the NIC inspector said he was happy with the cables in a non-safe zone simply because he wouldnt put a picture there.!  :eek:

it will be interesting to see just what your spark puts in that box on the cert........

Im dumbfounded to know that the NIC inspector said he was happy with the cables in a non-safe zone simply because he wouldnt put a picture there.!  :eek:
omgcat.jpg

i think the NIC need a new inspector

isnt NIC at elex in a few weeks... could be some interesting questions....

Last edited by a moderator:
What Safe Zones, no such thing, only to those that know and that equates to about 1 in 100,000  :innocent

The regulation was introduced to prevent damage to cables and injury, however the safe zones are where they seem to get damaged. 

What Safe Zones, no such thing, only to those that know and that equates to about 1 in 100,000  :innocent

The regulation was introduced to prevent damage to cables and injury, however the safe zones are where they seem to get damaged. 
Well my experience is that if someone is going to hang a picture on a wall that happens to be near a light switch, they will get the tape measure out, and ensure it's exactly central with the light switch so it looks right.

Ooh, can I invoice NIC?  That sounds interesting....... Hey Steptoe, yes please on your visit after he's gone - we'll see you at Christmas then, and at this rate it will be, Christmas 2014...  :innocent   I think anyone who wants to ask NICEIC questions in relation to this matter should go well ahead. We cannot believe that as clients/customers paying money for an electrician under their "watch" cannot have access to the list of points that the contractor should be doing on their house.  Yesterday, the electrician said he is not swapping the 10amp rcd for a 6amp because he has measured the cable and it's not long enough to justify it.  This is despite two (inc Steptoe) and the NIC inspector advising this. We found out that when we put the underfloor heating on the whole heating system comes on.  Husband pointed this out to electrician and he says he needs to come back with the plumber! Wa wa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  :facepalm:    

I'd include correspondence to PE readers letters section about the whole saga. The reply from nicey would make interesting reading 
Excuse my ignorance..... What's PE readers letters section? 

We found out that when we put the underfloor heating on the whole heating system comes on.  Husband pointed this out to electrician and he says he needs to come back with the plumber! Wa wa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  :facepalm:    
with a bit of luck, the plumber will have a better idea of electrics than the sparky, and be able to fix the problem

and PE readers letters is basically a rougues gallery of dodgy work that people have sent it, and is published in professional electrician magazine

Ooh, can I invoice NIC?  That sounds interesting....... Hey Steptoe, yes please on your visit after he's gone - we'll see you at Christmas then, and at this rate it will be, Christmas 2014...  :innocent   I think anyone who wants to ask NICEIC questions in relation to this matter should go well ahead. We cannot believe that as clients/customers paying money for an electrician under their "watch" cannot have access to the list of points that the contractor should be doing on their house.  Yesterday, the electrician said he is not swapping the 10amp rcd for a 6amp because he has measured the cable and it's not long enough to justify it.  This is despite two (inc Steptoe) and the NIC inspector advising this. We found out that when we put the underfloor heating on the whole heating system comes on.  Husband pointed this out to electrician and he says he needs to come back with the plumber! Wa wa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  :facepalm:    

Excuse my ignorance..... What's PE readers letters section? 
thats what i meant by saying to you that at least one of the zones wouldnt work on its own, turns out to be the UFH,

BTW gents, and ladies, the heating has been wired using a bodge up of 2 prewired connection centres with random links seemingly cut, as there wasnt enough zones in one they have tried to link the 2 of them together, badly,

anyone with half a brain woulda just made a bespoke connection centre up, personally I never use those prewired things, too many constrictions, as has been proven here.

are we likely to be finished and certed before the 18th George ?

Canoeboy said:
http://professional-electrician.com

Also on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/professionalelectrician

You could (if its near and you want to cause a fuss) visit ELEX at coventry, all the schemes including the NIC will be there and they cant run away from their stand :slap

http://elexshow.info
Many thanks!  Will look into these. 

thats what i meant by saying to you that at least one of the zones wouldnt work on its own, turns out to be the UFH,

BTW gents, and ladies, the heating has been wired using a bodge up of 2 prewired connection centres with random links seemingly cut, as there wasnt enough zones in one they have tried to link the 2 of them together, badly,

anyone with half a brain woulda just made a bespoke connection centre up, personally I never use those prewired things, too many constrictions, as has been proven here.

are we likely to be finished and certed before the 18th George ?
Hi, electrician not been in touch since we have noted the heating system not working and we haven't heard from the plumber.  Jonathan is wanting the whole job looked at before he hands over Part P because of paying him to get it right.  I will either call or text you tomorrow because Jonathan wants everything checking before we pay any more money. Electrician seems to have given Jonathan the impression that we should get a Part P in the post this week.  However, I don't know about that if he hasn't fixed the heating issue.  However, I will chase NICEIC to see if they have any details re sending a Part P.  Did you know that every year at a certain time about 300 motorbikers go to a pub in Silverdale (near Lancaster) for some sort of convention?  I just remembered it today because we saw so many bikers. 

please do George, I keep intending to call you, but im a bit mad last week [am I ever normal? ] ,

I have something Id like to chat to you about anyway.

300 motorbikers? did I do something to make that interest obvious?  :slap

Sorry I haven't called you Steptoe, I've been completely overwhelmed by William starting school. Oh the homework!!!  I do want to find out how the Coventry event went.  I called NICEIC this morning and was told the person handling our complaint is back from holiday on Friday and I should send an e-mail ready for his return. More waiting despite telling NICEIC that no evidence of calibration equipment was noted on the certificates given.  The guy who answered today said he doesn't know anything about that.  And get this ............... anyone know the answer to this question?..... why did our smoke alarms suddenly go off at 1am for 20 seconds the other morning?  It's only happened the once and Jonathan checked if someone was hiding in the garage where the CU is and no-one was there and no evidence of ectoplasm.  :pray

AH,

you have PM George,

the person you want is Mr Tony Cable, Ive sent you his mobile number,

He may or may not recall me from Coventry.

I understand the busy thing, im mad as a mad person that works with me would be even crazier than usual would be right now.!