Identifying Conductors MIMS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron-lee

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just finished the first day of my AM2 and am wondering how far you need to go with identifying the conductors with MIMS, obviously all have black insulation. Do you need to tape up the whole length with the correct colour ? Also do you with 3 phase BRN BlK GRY still have to mark these up with brown to identify that they are live or is it expected that anyone opening up a board should have the knowledge that it is 3 phase? Thanks Aaron

Hi all, I have just finished the first day of my AM2 and am wondering how far you need to go with identifying the conductors with MIMS, obviously all have black insulation. Do you need to tape up the whole length with the correct colour ? Also do you with 3 phase BRN BlK GRY still have to mark these up with brown to identify that they are live or is it expected that anyone opening up a board should have the knowledge that it is 3 phase? Thanks Aaron
BRB reg 514

'every core of a cable shall be identifiable at its terminations and preferably throughout its length'

Or can also use alphanumeric identification, middle column of table 51 page 92.

Those cable marker packs help with this method! ;)

e.g. 3-phase L1, L2, L3............

Brown should be used on all line conductors for single phase, although some people use Black for permanant live and Brown for switched live.

For three phase, you can use any of, or all of the allowed colours, Brown Black and Grey.

So you could have 3 Browns, 3 Blacks, or 3 Greys marked L1, L2 and L3.

Or you could have Brown, Black and Grey with no alphanumeric markings.

When we were working on sites during the colour changes, we would often have new cable in both sets of colours. I would generally, use a core that was already the correct colour, and just sleeve the others.

So on 4 core, I would use the Blue as neutral, the Black as L2, and sleeve the Red with Brown and the Yellow with Grey.

Some clients wanted us to use the correct old colours and sleeve every core with the appropriate new colour.