Kiln Install ..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Chaps ..

Have to been asked to install a kiln in a new outhouse .. and also a supply for a welder in the cellar/workshop .. chap is an artist ..

House is TN-S 60/80 .. batteries had gone in my tester so I'm working on 0.8 for the sums ..

The demand for the kiln is 39A .. will also fit 2 x energy saving lights and a couple of sockets so design current is 53A ..

I'm intending to Henley block the tails into a new CU to house the Dist circuit for the outhouse and the welder circuit which will be 20A ..

Cable run to the outhouse will be 25m ... SWA buried ..

Now my cable calc sums are giving me 16mm cable but i'm not going to get the 5s disconnection ..

So .. I'm pretty sure I can RCD protect the dist circuit to comply .. should I TT at the shed or use the main house earth ?

Also .. would it be wise to ask EDF to upgrade the head to 100A .. ?

Your thoughts, as always, appreciated ..

Hi Danny

Yes I WOULD GET UPGADE TO 100 AMP CUT-OUT, should be no charge from EDF for this

Keep with TNS and use 16mm 3 CRE SWA using 3rd cre as cpc with armour should reduce Zs to give 5 sec dis time ok

I would keep RCD at far end its along way back to reset everytime.

Tim

Be careful with kilns as a 30mA will probably trip. Last one I did I put 300mA RCD in enclosure for main switch and then 30mA for other circuits on Rcbo's in consumer unit.

Funny how things turn out ... after all this planning I caught sight of the spec for this kiln and the manufacturer requires only a 13A supply ... super duper efficient thing it is apparently ..

So slight change of plan ... .. 25A design circuit .. 32A dist circuit to the shed now on 4mm .. should leave plenty of room for expansion in the future ..

And 4mm a lot easier to work with than 16mm too! Happy days ..

Funny how things turn out ... after all this planning I caught sight of the spec for this kiln and the manufacturer requires only a 13A supply ... super duper efficient thing it is apparently .. So slight change of plan ... .. 25A design circuit .. 32A dist circuit to the shed now on 4mm .. should leave plenty of room for expansion in the future ..

Cor your lucky last one I did needed a 63 amp circuit breaker and was about 50 odd amps when running now that did need a bit of 16mm with other circuits.

Funny how things turn out ... after all this planning I caught sight of the spec for this kiln and the manufacturer requires only a 13A supply ... super duper efficient thing it is apparently .. So slight change of plan ... .. 25A design circuit .. 32A dist circuit to the shed now on 4mm .. should leave plenty of room for expansion in the future ..

Bit of a glorified domestic single oven type unit by the sounds of it.

Doc H.