Long CT cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am having some batteries added to my existing solar panels. There is a long 65m run between the inverters and the battery and the CT cable will go alongside a/c cables. What’s the best type of cable to minimise any corruption of CT data?
Many thanks.

Hi all,
I am having some batteries added to my existing solar panels. There is a long 65m run between the inverters and the battery and the CT cable will go alongside a/c cables. What’s the best type of cable to minimise any corruption of CT data?
Many thanks.
Look at alternative ways, digital or WiFi etc, that’s a long run and the inverter cables will be as noisy as hell.

Thank you John. Trouble is there is no WiFi or phone signal where the invertors are located. I could get WiFi to them but hoped that a cheaper option would be a well insulated CT cable.

Thank you John. Trouble is there is no WiFi or phone signal where the invertors are located. I could get WiFi to them but hoped that a cheaper option would be a well insulated CT cable.
The problem with CT's occurs as the current goes down. The voltage induced into the CT also reduces, at low current levels the noise becomes greater than the signal and in your proposed installation a) you have very long cables and b) you have inverter cables in there too. Could you not install a power meter and RS485 cable back to the inverter?