Looking for advice regarding Solar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babulmiah

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a completely new to solar.

I know what I want to do, which is:

1 to 3 kWh Solar Panel system with the ability to use batteries to store excess energy.

From what I have read, I know I need:

1- Solar Panels
2-Charge Controller - MPPT is the better of the 2 options available
3-Inverter - I think, to use batteries, I will need a hybrid inverter?
4-Batteries - I know there are different types
5-would like to monitor usage remotely
6-use grid when solar power not available

Im not sure what else I need?

I want to start of with solar panels and then add batteries later.

Can anyone guide me, suggest a fairly cheapish way to get started.

Thanks

I have moved this post and changed its title :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My budget is around 1-2K - but i plan to use refurbished / second hand products where possible.

use on average 10kWh but what I am thinking is to start small. For example, I am using an electricity usage device to capture how much electricity is used by devices that are constantly on i.e. Fridge Freezer, CCTV, etc. The other things like use of laptops, charging tablets, watching TV is variable and can change day by day so I want to start with a small solar system that provides enough power for the non variable devices. Then I plan to expand.

I have read that I need to think ahead, to start with a 48v inverter?

Would appreciate a helping hand.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you,.

Any particular model number?

Also what would be your recommendation on setup?

What do I need to look out for?
Have a read of the posts on here, everything you probably want to know has been discussed previously. If there's anything you still don't understand, feel free to ask.

A Solis 3.6kw hybrid inverter will cost over a grand new. Not sure you would find a 2nd hand one.
Tbh I'm not sure how you could build a small setup (future expandable) for 1k. I would say 2.5k would be the min you would get away with and that wouldn't buy you much.

My baseline is 0.5kw per hour and daily usage through summer is 20kwh. Closer to 24 in the winter. I have a 3.6kw in Exeter. 4kw of panels and 2 2.4kw battery's. Cost £4800 . And that was getting cheap panels

I have to say, on that budget, I would forget the batteries.

You may be able to find second hand panels on ebay or the like.

A 3kw inverter is around £400 new, non hybrid.

Frame will cost you another £3/400 for a small system. Chuck in about £100 for cable and toehr electrical bits, and that's most of your budget gone already

Thank you guys for the input, to start off with, would I need the following -

Start of with solar and then and batteries later:

1) Solar panels - I understand there are 3 types - which one is recommended out of these three: polycrystalline, monocrystalline and thin-film

2-Hybrid Inverter - Charge Controller will be in the inverter?? and going for a MPPT 48v is the right option??

Would the inverter also connect to the main house electrical supply?

Would the inverter switch to grid electricity when it no longer has solar being produced?

Also, would the inverter have a remote monitoring tool? i.e. check on app what energy is being produced.

Thank you guys for the input, to start off with, would I need the following -

Start of with solar and then and batteries later:

1) Solar panels - I understand there are 3 types - which one is recommended out of these three: polycrystalline, monocrystalline and thin-film

Mono are the most common so if your buying 2nd hand the most likely to be available

2-Hybrid Inverter - Charge Controller will be in the inverter?? and going for a MPPT 48v is the right option??
If you go for the hybrid inverter it's simple to add battery in the future. Imo 48v is the right option
Would the inverter also connect to the main house electrical supply?
Yes
Would the inverter switch to grid electricity when it no longer has solar being produced?
Yes
Also, would the inverter have a remote monitoring tool? i.e. check on app what energy is being produced.
Yes if you buy one. A simple CT will be good

Thanks Andy.

Also, any advice on the cabling that I would need?

Apologies me being new to solar - what would CT mean?

In terms of future planning - what types of batteries would you recommend? I understand some batteries may stop functioning if they do not receive a signal??

Thanks Andy.

Also, any advice on the cabling that I would need?

Apologies me being new to solar - what would CT mean?

In terms of future planning - what types of batteries would you recommend? I understand some batteries may stop functioning if they do not receive a signal??
Cable is usually 4mm or -6mm solar cable and connectors are whatever you inverter takes. Usually mc4
CT clamp clips on you meter tails to read the current direction flow and also plugs into your inverter.

I use pylontech as they are simple idiot proof though depending on your inverter, not all battery's are compatible.

As Binky said. Have a good read of the past solar posts. There are loads of info in them.

One thing I will add. Every newbie underestimate what they need for a setup and the amount of kw it will produce.

A further question on CT clamp - just been looking into it.

Can you attach the clamp yourself or do you need a qualified electrician?

been looking at MyEnergi Harvi

A further question on CT clamp - just been looking into it.

Can you attach the clamp yourself or do you need a qualified electrician?

been looking at MyEnergi Harvi
The one I have has a simple live and nutaral plus a cable that plugs into the inverter easy to fit. No electrician needed