Meter box with hinges on the right

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siricosm

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can get a standard UK surface mount meter box with hinges on the right? It needs to be at least 400mm wide and 560mm tall, preferably with a timber backboard.

The standard meter box will work upside down, but the profile of the top and bottom are different so may not shed rainwater as well and may leak. Also the marked out cable entry positions will be wrong, but you can probably live with that. If the back board has marked meter positions etc, unscrew it and turn it upside down to to counter the whole box being upside down.

The whole design of the standard meter box is rubbish particularly the hinges I really wish a better alternative was available.

Does anyone know where you can get a standard UK surface mount meter box with hinges on the right? It needs to be at least 400mm wide and 560mm tall, preferably with a timber backboard.
Like this one you mean?? This was made by a firm called "Mitras" and given to me by Western power.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Travis Perkins
Sadly they only have hinges on the left.

Does is need to be right-hand hinge..?

It is on the far right of the building next to the fence, so it seems kind of dumb to use a box that has hinges on the left.

If 400mm wide and 560mm tall are not the standard single phase size then you could get a three phase one…

Near as I can tell 400x560 are a standard size (MK3?) and this is what UK Power networks wants. They make something called a Mark 2 that come with hinges on either side, but they are a bit smaller.

Like this one you mean?? This was made by a firm called "Mitras" and given to me by Western power.

That looks to be a Mitras MK3 (model M06004 EB6), and would be perfect if it can be had with a right hand hinge. Travis Perkins sells them, but with hinges on the left. Is it upside down by any chance? When you close the door is the logo on the bottom or the top? Is looks like it has a symmetric shape top to bottom.

Sadly they only have hinges on the left.

It is on the far right of the building next to the fence, so it seems kind of dumb to use a box that has hinges on the left.

Near as I can tell 400x560 are a standard size (MK3?) and this is what UK Power networks wants. They make something called a Mark 2 that come with hinges on either side, but they are a bit smaller.

That looks to be a Mitras MK3 (model M06004 EB6), and would be perfect if it can be had with a right hand hinge. Travis Perkins sells them, but with hinges on the left. Is it upside down by any chance? When you close the door is the logo on the bottom or the top? Is looks like it has a symmetric shape top to bottom.
Hi there, My box is DEFINITELY the right way up, as it has holes "precut" in the bottom to fit the cable through. Here is another photo for you.

john..

Attachments

• MB3.JPG
    MB3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0