Micc :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
This block at college we are using mineral insulated cable :) done a few practice ends so far and it seems to be not bad stuff to work with lol your thoughts on it? Or does it even get used anymore as our lecturer says its kinda being phased out for fp200

Cheers l

Bobby

We get a lot of problems with Glis Glis in my area and they love chewing through PVC cables. I have a rewire coming up and they suffer with these critters. I looked at doing loft in MICC but my wholesaler said they really don't get a call for it any more. I have opted for using flex galvanised conduit with TW/E inside. Its 30 years since I last did MICC.

I made off a length last week to terminate to a EX d fitting in a school chemical store.................Another spark advised they rewire to use FP as he didn't think MI was in use any more.

Was an easy £60

MI or Pyro as most Sparks know it by , is probably one of the safest cables made . Its non flamable , It carries more current than the same size in PVC , it's temp range is higher , I've seen big single cores in a sub station connecting the power factor stuff, been running for years at a temp you could'nt hold your hand on.

As said, FP has replaced the smaller sizes due to cost and simpler terminations , most sparks I meet these days can't terminate MI.

If funds would allow I would install it any day. Its a far superior cable, I have terminated with just side cutters and a screwdriver (under emergency conditions) and still think its the best cable out there. What I really like about it is the fact that it is tested everytime a connection is made, each pot is tested, and the end result is that the cable may have been tested more than 20 times just on first fix!!!

Not many cables are installed and tested to those standards these days.

Never seen a Mole crimper!

It was a stub seal to pot crimper AND a wedge inserter. Based upon a set of Mole Grips

I'll see if I can find a pic...

2011-03-20152913.jpg

2011-03-20152924.jpg

yea yea,

typical english name for vise grips,

I now understand, the name mole grips is a fairly unique mainland UK term I would reckon, Ive always known them as vise grips,

cos TBH Ive never had anything other than genuine ones that were worth having, I suppose its a bit like hoover/vacuum

I think the wedge pot got phased out due to coming loose under vibration.

Did miles of it in the 80's Pyro rollers used a lot and the biggest MI required a site made Tee bar of 20mm conduit with slot, liked the tommy gun stripper for the small stuff.

Always called the compound Monkey Muck, did anyone else.