Micc :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. It was sited next to the board just because of the size of the installation the lecturer did say that in normal circumstances it would be next to the fire panel

2. Yes this is a working system (well I bloody hope it works haha)

3. It does go through a hole in cable tray, after this the excercise is getting changed because the lecturer doesn't like the route I the SWA :)

Thanks for the compliments ill let you know if it all works haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I know but our lecturer seems like on of those know it alls lol everything has to be perfect or he makes you re do it, one strand of copper out of place and its re bare it and try again lol he's also a smart ar** with the regs as he teaches regs courses at night lol

Sometimes its best learning that way.

Like planning in what order to put my SWA's on a tray so they fall off perfectly in the correct order. Then theres the one your forget that puts them all out.

The second sounder isn't on a separate circuit, there isn't ment to be a second sounder but because I was first finished he told me to add another one to get more practice at MI.

Hard to tell from the pic but,

What is going on with the 'white thing' at the top of the conduit bushes on the Fire Panel Supply?

Is that a Fused Spur or a Switched Fuse Spur or a Key Switch/fused spur? I only ask as on my last annual assessment my AE went all moody on me as on a Fire Alarm job I had used a Red Fused connection unit adjacent to the panel as the Distribution board [2 way Landlords Unit] was only 1m away and the Fused Connection unit did not provide DP isolation...just saying

Otherwise it looks fine

Power supply

BS5839-1:2002. 25.2, c) To facilitate local isolation during maintenance, suitable means should be provided for double pole isolation of the low voltage supply circuit that serves the power supply and control equipment [see 29.2e].

29.2e, Means should be provided for double pole isolation of the mains supply to all parts of the system: the isolation facilities should be suitably sited, in the vicinity of the equipment served, for use by maintanence technicians without the need for access to remote parts of the building. It should be possible to lock the facilities in both the normal and isolate positions.

Sounders

BS5839-1:2002. 12.2.2, j) In the event of a single open circuit or short circuit fault on any circuit that serves fire alarm sounders, at least one single fire alarm sounder, normally located in the vacinity of the control or indicating equipment, should still sound correctly if a fire alarm condition occurs anywhere in the building. The fire alarm sounder should have an identical sound to the general fire alarm sounders in the building

l) Where 2 or more sounder circuits are necessary to satisfy the recommendations of j) or k) (k is general public in large numbers) the circuits should not be contained within a common cable sheath

The white thing is a skintop gland or stuffing gland and its just a fused spur
Ah...in that case the fused spur is wrong [see Slips bit on isolation]

Is the supply in FP or equivalent? If not then Why the Stuffing gland, I would have put a shroud on it anyway to neaten it up.

Other than that I still think it is a V Neat job 9/10 [considering that you are doing it in a booth as well]

Yeah it's a FP200 for the supply and I did ask about shrouds but he said tht for the excercise it doesn't matter but if he was doing it for real he would have put shrouds over the glands and yeah I didn't even think about the double isolation ill ask about that tomorrow an thanks for the 9/10 :D

Never seen a Mole crimper!

It was a stub seal to pot crimper AND a wedge inserter. Based upon a set of Mole Grips

I'll see if I can find a pic...

2011-03-20152913.jpg

2011-03-20152924.jpg
These were so rubbish to use :)

not bad at all.. only thing i would do different is sharper bends and the clips closer together on the vertical drop

When the wedge pot first came out it was very popular, but it did not seem to last long, I think vibration was an issue with the wedge working loose over time.

It was a lot quicker than the screwed pot though.

Just finished my first big pyro job

It was used on all the outside high level lighting and the lads who started the installation totally C***** it up, ran some cables down through the cavity to save time which have all failed and been replaced by myself there was also a few where they had rammed 2 2L1.5 pyros down a 25mm galv conduit to get down the wall and outside then bent them too tight to terminate them into U boxes snapping the outer at the pot and putting dead shorts on the cables :shakehead

All tested fine they claim but i cant see it, was good experince for me though its a great cable to work with and like its been said very satisfying to look back at a job well done and I also got myself a free set of pryo tools for the hassle and a lesson off an older spark on how to strip it with side cutter when your caught short so all good experince

Just finished my first big pyro job

It was used on all the outside high level lighting and the lads who started the installation totally C***** it up, ran some cables down through the cavity to save time which have all failed and been replaced by myself there was also a few where they had rammed 2 2L1.5 pyros down a 25mm galv conduit to get down the wall and outside then bent them too tight to terminate them into U boxes snapping the outer at the pot and putting dead shorts on the cables :shakehead

All tested fine they claim but i cant see it, was good experince for me though its a great cable to work with and like its been said very satisfying to look back at a job well done and I also got myself a free set of pryo tools for the hassle and a lesson off an older spark on how to strip it with side cutter when your caught short so all good experince
not sure I understand why was the MI in galv conduit?