Need Help Fitting New Switch To My Lathe.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will do. ill give it a look tomorrow.

there are unused terminals on the switch if that is the case. I can use them

Am I right in thinking if there is a greater resistance across any of the terminals that the voltage will be lower?

I'm thinking I will check what voltage I have when the motor is running in each direction

i haven't tested yet but I've been suspicious of the capacitor or the way it's been wired in since last weekend. Are there any tests I can do on that?

I'm going to be seeing this in my sleep tonight. I'll check but I think the switch is ok

To test the cap, you'll need a meter that can measure capacitance, then test it like a resistor, also, you can check the ESR, but for that you need an ESR meter.

For the cost, just replace it.

Just tested it 240 volts between motor live and neutral  one way . Reversed it and push started it rotating looked like .79 volts but the motor started smoking in the time it took me to get my multi meter probes located.

and definitely running at lower speed not sure I believe less than 1 volt ac.

I have not notices the lower speed with other wiring configurations I have tried

sorry about keep changing the font wasn't meant to be underlined

But it runs fine in both directions when wired in to a socket.

Well it did going to go back and try it. Got to be something I'm doing.

OK it's something in the wiring, or the switch or cap are breaking down under load.

It seems that you still have the motor connected to the mechanics?

Anyway, wiring looks a mess, so i would start again, besides, it will make it a lot simpler for you to wire one bit at a time....

First off, how you getting the motor to reverse when you have it connected to a plug, what wires are you swapping??

Right, from the motor wiring diagram; Turn the motor so the linked terminals are all at the top. Now, see the bottom three terminals?? the outside pair need to be connected to the supply at all times [when you want it to run that it] Do not attempt to get the switch to "change the polarity" of these to try to reverse the thing, as this will not work anyway.

REMEMBER these pair are connected across the supply, end of.

Now see the middle one??? All you have to do, is to arrange the switch so that this terminal is connected to either the left one, or the right one, to change motor direction

This works as long as either the forward or revers are disconnected . the switching itself seems to operate but as soon as I switch from the off position it trips. http://s493.photobucket.com/user/splinge2002/media/IMAG0552.jpg.html

it's not blowing fuses it's tripping my rcd

yes it is connectect to the gearbox

sorry apprentice87 thought you meant fuse. the switch was supplied by the manufacturer. so I guess it's up to the job. the is a pic of the Chinese paperwork in my photobucket

apprentice87 .that bit I do understand and all i'm trying to do is swap that red wire using the switch. I just can't see where I'm going wrong.

I'm willing to follow your exact instructions if you can tell me how to wire it.

when I get it to switch at the moment that's what i'm doing on the chocky block.

please ignore that line between 4and6 on my diagram just a mistake in the drawing

Hi, here is the way it appears to me...

LInk the following terminals;

1+3

4+2

7+5

8+6

10+14

Then;

2+13

6+9

Next;

Live from your socket goes to 3

Neutral from your socket goes to 7

After that;

With the motor so the linked terminals are at the top

2 goes to one of the outer terminals [any one]

6 goes to the other outer terminal

Finally, the middle one goes to either 10 or 14 [remember they are linked so i does not matter!]

That is how i would do it anyway

Do one step at a time, linking all the switch terminals first, then make the other connections.

Make sure the whole lot has overcurrent protection, and switch on!!!

Hopefully it will go!!!!!

john....

Just going outside to do a bit of welding, but i will keep coming back to the computer to check!!

john

I can't believe it. I'm so used to failing .But it is working. must complicated one so far and I had to do it twice . I can't thank you enough

Cheers

John

Yeh!!!! We might be able to help you with other like minded thing too!! Sidewinder has huge experience at all sorts, [and also has a Harrison 140!] and i am pretty good as a machinist [and got a Harrison 140 too, [amongst others"] and i am a qualified welder too, so, any other "mechanical contrivance" tinkering, we can all help!!!!!

So pleased it works!!!!! Yeh!!!!!!!

john....

Oooo, and click the little scoob thing to take me to a round 600 !!!!

Happy turning!!

john!!

thank you all very much. Doesn't look like I can offer any free machining in return for the help I have received.

well done Paddler for spotting my "deliberate" mistakes.

What a great forum nice to know there are like minded people here.

I don't have that many electrical problems but I do feel a welder coming on soon

Not all of us do only electrical!

I'm rebuilding a high speed CNC VMC spindle tomorrow, slight change of plan and all will go well this time! ;)