Need Help Fitting New Switch To My Lathe.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your own vmc?

I thought I was pretty well equipped but everyone who's replied to me has at least a lathe

Just curious. What do we all use them for?

I have a trackday motorbike with some non standard stuff I mainly use mine for spacers and bodywork mounts etc.

I think it's about the most useful tool I have though

your own vmc?

I thought I was pretty well equipped but everyone who's replied to me has at least a lathe

I have a trackday motorbike with some non standard stuff I mainly use mine for spacers and bodywork mounts etc.

now, you are a man I could get into the habit of annoying, a LOT.!

on this subject, kind off, at least, where would I go about getting a milling attachment for my pillar drill?

I think its a jacobs2 or a JT2 if I have it sort of close.......

I dont have a lathe,  :( and neither do I have the room for one, nor the money to buy one, :(

Canoeboy said:
Buy a lathe and a mill (also have a mill at work)

Just saying.......
what part of

'I HAVE NO MONEY'

is it you find hard to grasp.?.......  :|

space.?

well, I could build a bigger patio I suppose....  :C

Yeah, unfortunately wives don't have much resale value, more often than not you've actually got to pay someone to take them away. I also didn't have space at home for my lathe so I just installed it outside and put a roof over it.

your own vmc?

No the VMC spindle repair is for a customer.

I do have a miller, an old Bridgeport as well as the lathe, a 1ph & 3ph oil cooled welders, a 1ph MIG,, Oxy-Acet, a broaching press, a hydraulic "bearing" press, and a guillotine, as well as several pedestal grinders, some of which I am looking to move on.

Amongst many other power tools.

Next thing I think is a bandsaw to be honest.

Hmmmm, a Colchester Bantam... Very nice quality bit of kit!! nearly bought one myself!!!

Hi Steps,

The Jacobs taper, like the JT2 you mention, is the taper that fits into the chuck, the machine arbor has a morse taper in it, or at least it usually does.. Anyway, fitting a collet chuck [to hold milling cutters] to a pillar drill is not the best idea in the world, but it could be ok for light milling...

Anyway, if you wanted such a chuck, here they are!!!

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Milling-Collet-Chucks

second item down you want, and all for £43-20 !!!

john...

thanks John,

TBH, all Id ever be doing is trying to get a decent-ish finish on something already bodged,

I do understand the issues of the sideways pressures etc when using a drill as a mill, not good,  :|

but, I am very restricted as to what I can do/afford/space for etc etc etc

Me?.....amongst other things within the outer spiral arm of my garage workshop i have

Denford Viceroy lathe

Hobbymat lathe

radial arm pillar drill

metal bandsaw

wood bandsaw

MiG

Oxy

130a stick welder

compressor

linisher

bench grinder

bench saw

3 x chop saws

and a load more stuff!

what do i use them for?........dunno, cannot get to them since there is so much stuff in the garage!

As there is also all my stock, work tools and a load of diving gear along with 2 full trimix sets, cylinders AND all my diving equipment servicing stuff!

just needing a good tidy out!

Hi Kerching!

I used to have a Denford Viceroy. Very well made it was and it was surprising what i managed to do with it!! Had it for about 18 years.

My present inventory of toys/junk includes;

[SIZE=medium]Machine tools[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Victoria, My Elliott U1 universal miller![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An Elliott U2 universal miller[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Universal Vertical head for the Elliott millers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Slotting head for the Elliott millers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An Elliott Dividing Head[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Cincinnati Dividing Head[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An Elliott Shaper. [18” stroke][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Clarkson Mk1 tool and cutter Grinder[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A "TipLap" tool and cutter grinder[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Two Corona Pollard bench drills![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An Alfra 40mm capacity Magnet drill[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Harrison 140 Lathe[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Harrison vertical milling slide[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A VERY rare Harrison dividing and gear cutting attachment for the lathe[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Harrison 5C collet chuck[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My V[/SIZE]öest-Alpine DA180 lathe

[SIZE=10pt]A[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] Qualters and Smith 150 “terrier” mechanical hacksaw[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Thomas 270 Swing Head Bandsaw [complete with roller stands][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An Elliott Pedestal grinder[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Welders[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]A Hobart BetaWave 320 AC/DC Square wave, pulse etc, MMA and Tig set[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An AGA TWN 330 MMA set[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]An FDB Argofil 310 Mig set [separate wire feed, volt and amp meters etc][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A BOC Transarc Tradesman single phase 130 Amp MMA set[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Miller Maxstar 300 pulse etc MMA and Tig set[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Murex Transarc DC203i MMA and scratch start Tig set[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Murex Oxy/Acetylene welding and cutting gear[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A Lincoln Invertec PC65 Plasma cutter [cuts 25mm but best on up to 18mm][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Two Murex straight line cutters[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Various..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A huge Broomwade Compressor [65cfm] [i want to be able to blast bike frames][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A little Clarke Compressor [8.7cfm] from Machine Mart.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A small Bead blast cabinet[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A ten ton hydraulic press[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Two Smart and Brown small Toggle presses[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A K[/SIZE]ärcher HDS 895 Steam cleaner

[SIZE=12pt]And a lot more besides!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Oh yes!! banging and clanging at all hours a speciallity!!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]john...[/SIZE]

John, my viceroy is the older more basic TS without screwcutting, so i have to screwcut on the Hobbymat.

the Viceroy was FREE and came with an Ingersol Rand Comp with vertical receiver....also free! That was a good day!

having seen your inventory i will proceed to put on my overcoat!

not got a mill yet BUT i am looking

now, you are a man I could get into the habit of annoying, a LOT.!

on this subject, kind off, at least, where would I go about getting a milling attachment for my pillar drill?

I think its a jacobs2 or a JT2 if I have it sort of close.......

I dont have a lathe,  :( and neither do I have the room for one, nor the money to buy one, :(
What kind of milling attachment do you mean? Are you talking about the cutting tools or the x and y plane vices? I don't have a mill either but I get my cutting tools and stuff I want to last from Cromwell. Or if I want something made out of cheese there loads of that on ebay.

Hi All, as regards the type of stuff to buy,most of the stuff i buy is mega pricey industrial stuff; You only get what yopu pay for.. I have had some good cheap stuff though. Things like little compressors from Machine Mart are great.. Mine has excelled itself, trully is amazing what you can do with it. It is my third one, as the other two got stolen.. they were all great though.

As for machine tool bits and bobs. Metrology stuff, if it is not moore and wright, starrett or mitutoyo, forget it. Other things, i have had some nice blank MT3 tapers and a tailstock die holder from Chronos that were nice. RDG sell junk, [in my opinion i hasten to add!] Ebay, hmmmm, had some great used stuff off there, but any new cheap tools are junk. Anything that says "silverline" on it is fit for the bin too.

Now, for a rare exception. Format tools.... They are quite hard to get hold of, but all made in germany, in lots of cases silly cheap, and quality equal to any..... I have a proper catalogue i downloaded, but i cannot find the link..

Anyway, the stuff is posted to you direct from germany and you get it all from here; http://www.bidefordtool.com/

Eurogrind are Format agents in Swansea john.

I have had some Format stuff from them, I have had some OK stuff from AcrEuroTrade, though, I normally use B&H, Cormwell, & J&L for tidy stuff that is new.

Used, ebay tbh.

what I want to 'mill' is basically if I cut , for instance, a piece of bar for a spacer I simply want to mill the faces to ensure they are square,

well, a lot squarer than my cutting skills anyway, Im not talking 0.01 of a mm accurate here,

I know for a fact I need to make a 15mm wheel spacer for the back wheel im changing of my bike, so I just want something that can square up stuff like that for me.

almost all will be a direct downforce, no sideways milling that I can envisage, I do realise stuff like that really isnt suited to a pillar drill.

You need a lathe steps, else post it to me & tell me what you want doing, I'll stuff it in the lathe & post it back.

You can cover the postage in next years Elex beer! ;)